Menu

Weird coin.. one side is Reverse of Buffalo Nickel and other side is Reverse of Wheat Penny?

8 posts • viewed 210 times
dandelatorre
Hi all,

I found this in a batch of Buffalo nickels I acquired. It is approx. 2mm thick, approx. 21mm diameter, and weighs approx. 5.1grams. Assuming it is some sort of mint error of which I have little knowledge. Any info will be appreciate.. 'What are these called?', 'How was it made?', 'Rare or Common?', "Possible value, if any?', etc..
Thank you.. Dan
Cerulean
It looks like a steel wheat penny has been embedded inside the buffalo nickel. Perhaps this is a magician's prop.
ZacUK Numista team
Yes, someone just embedded one coin inside another.
I have two older coins like that ...

and this with two similar sized coins joined ...

My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
dandelatorre
The side struck as penny is not flush with planchet, it sticks out, but the thickness for the Buffalo Nickel is correct. Also, I forgot to mention it sticks to my magnet like glue.

Thanks.. Dan
Steve27
It's called a magician's coin. It was made for the purpose of performing magic tricks. I have one which has a Wheat cent reverse and a Mercury dime obverse.
dandelatorre
Steve 27

If possible, (1) Would you be able to show a close-up image of the area where the DIME meets the penny?
AND (2) Is the side with the DIME completely flush to the outer edge of the penny's planchet?
Sorry for my inquisitiveness, but, like the example below I found, not all of these are 'Magic' coins. This one sold for over $35,000.00

Thank you Dan

Ringgy
Hi, my guess is magicians coin, the Buffalo nickel production ended in 1938, the steel cent was 1943
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 7-Dec-2019, 07:20AM)
dandelatorre
Hi all,

I just spoke with a prolific Magician in Florida, an old-timer, and he said over the course of his profession the choice of coinage used for magic tricks was either a silver dollar/half dollar combination coin or half dollar/quarter combination.. the industry preference were larger coins, and he, personally, had never seen nor heard of a penny/nickel combination coin over the years.

I did email the US Mint to ask if it was 'possible' to accidentally produce a coin like the one pictured. I think the easiest solution is to carry it over to Tampa's next major coin Show.. pretty sure they usually have authenticators on site.

Thank you all for responses.. Dan

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 12:20AM.