Czechoslovakian coin or token

11 posts

» Quick access to the last post

I have this coin here

it has no year and no text on it, but the lion that looks much similar to the Czechoslovakian lion,
but the tail is a bit different.

is it a coin or a token?
It's a token for sure, but it doesn't look to have anything in common with Czechoslovakia.
some sort of game token??? B.
james
Quote: kommodoreIt's a token for sure, but it doesn't look to have anything in common with Czechoslovakia.
Agree with the first part: it is a token!
I would not throw away the option of the observe being a variation of the Bohemian [Czech] Lion, as the pawn, way of stand and the facial issues do resemble that. The tail is surely not double, but it is NOT always double-tail, as it is only an artistic expression, so... honestly I don't know, but it is exciting.
I would check war and emergency coinage of Bohemian [Czech] cities/companies/hotels/pubs/breweries around 1917-1919, surely it is before the time that the concept of Czechoslovakia was born.
The entire artistic style is more of an emergency coinage of the WWI, than a game token. (also the number 6 is more for a "6 heller" than a game thing...)

For about 1000% sure it has nothing to do with Slovakia, if that limits the options :)

I am really curious, good luck for the quest!
BTW, what is the metal? Zinc?
B. you dont know imreh???
james
Quote: james wolfeB. you dont know imreh???
I don't know, James, but trying to help
The token is brass. I have a similar one (on the scan). Its weight is 4,4 g and diameter - 21,5 mm. On a Russian token site I read that it is a Lowenbrau beer token, but I am not sure since could not confirm this anywhere else.
I collect coins and tokens which circulated in Africa from 18th century to 2000. I sell about 7000 illustrated world coins from http://www.avscoins.com.
I have one, too. I would also like to know where this coat check token is from.  ;)
After some research I can tell you now that it is or was a gambling token at the Prater in Vienna.

description of menzel 27090 says:
lion upright with a 6
without year

1     6      copper, 21,5mm        €3,-
2     6      brass  , 21,5mm        €3,-

menzel 27091 would be
lion upright with a 6/2
without year

1     6/2    nickel , 21,5mm      €3,-

Note: used at the Prater (Vienna)

So it seems to be not that rare.
Thomas
Much appreciated!
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 23-Jan-2019, 23:05)
Topic moved to "Exonumia identifications and valuations" (ZacUK, 8-Sep-2022, 15:35)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:18.