Menu

5 Reis D. José I from Portugal [solved]

6 posts • viewed 56 times
Rui-Manuel
Can anyone help me to confirm this coin.
It appears to be KM#242.2 - JOSEPHUS - 5 Reis D. José I from Portugal but there are some differences from what is shown on the catalog…
4.5g instead 5g diameter 28,5mm instead 29,4mm and there is a "R" mark on the obverse left of the crown.

Thanks
Ronald70
Hi, there is another R on the other side. Could it be the sign for „Reproduction“?
luca biondi
Or replica?
klei92
Sorry Rui but that needs to be a reproduction as pointed by previous mates.

Here in Spain (I also saw them in Portugal), are somehow "comon" to see; My guess is that probably its from a "History coin collection" made by a news paper or similar like a magazine, probably in the last 30 or 40 years.

Its not exactly your case but...

If i dont recall wrong, the last year several news papers made one of this coin collections, even in colaboration with the Spanish mint Real Casa de la Moneda, making several historical spanish coins with finish in silver and gold... I have had several of this ones and also have had some catalonia reproductions as well with this kind of R(eproduction) on it. I sold all that stuff but i keep a Spanish II República 1 Peseta 1933 with that R which is cleary a reproduction (only matches desing, not meassurements or material).
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
PetrusAscanus
Quote: "klei92"​Sorry Rui but that needs to be a reproduction as pointed by previous mates.

​Here in Spain (I also saw them in Portugal), are somehow "comon" to see; My guess is that probably its from a "History coin collection" made by a news paper or similar like a magazine, probably in the last 30 or 40 years.

​Its not exactly your case but...

​If i dont recall wrong, the last year several news papers made one of this coin collections, even in colaboration with the Spanish mint Real Casa de la Moneda, making several historical spanish coins with finish in silver and gold... I have had several of this ones and also have had some catalonia reproductions as well with this kind of R(eproduction) on it. I sold all that stuff but i keep a Spanish II República 1 Peseta 1933 with that R which is cleary a reproduction (only matches desing, not meassurements or material).
​I agree
Non est totum quod splendet ut aurum
Rijkdom bestaat niet uit het hebben van veel bezittingen, maar in het hebben van weinig behoeften
Rui-Manuel
Thanks Guys
Status changed to Solved (Rui-Manuel, 3-Jan-2020, 02:16AM)

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:42AM.