Menu

What is your favourite coin type to collect

15 posts • viewed 585 times
Moneytane
I know its an elementary and almost childish question, but what is your favourite type of coin to collect. Could be a country, denomination, type, metal etc or era.

Mine is definitely the Halfcrown. I collect all sorts of coins, and large silver ones are my favourite, but modern change does it for me too (I have multiple UNC copies of my country's circulation coins) and a nearly continuous run of Australian 5 and 10 cent pieces, but the half crown is the one I return to the most.

A New Zealand Half Crown coin from 1937

Halfcrowns for those who don't know are British and British Commonwealth coins issued between 1526 and 1970. These coins were worth 2 shillings and sixpence, or 30 old pennies. Originally issued as a small gold coin in the 1500s, it was a silver coin from 1551 to 1946 (UK, NZ, Rhodesia) and to 1960 (South Africa) and then cupro nickel until 1970. Unlike the crown these coins were issued in large numbers and most sectors of society used them. Crowns appeared sporadically, but not at all in general circulation after 1936 in the UK (Although South Africa had them from 1947 to 1960).

Halfcrowns were issued mostly in Great Britain and also issued by New Zealand from 1933, South Africa 1923 (Although Boer Halfcrowns were issued in the Zuid Afrikanse Republiek between 1892 and 1898), Rhodesia 1932, Irish Free state and Eire 1928 - 1968 (Known as a Leit coroin) and many other places only issued coins to the Florin or 2 shilling piece like Australia and Fiji (Canada, India, all the rest of Africa and parts of Carribean used other currency systems).

A special centennial Half crown of NZ from 1940

I like half crowns because they are huge and handsome coins. Many were the workhorses of the past. The standard half crown is 32.5mm in size and weighed 14.3 grams. Until 1920 they were all Sterling silver (.925) and from 1920 to 1946 were .500 silver (Except South Africa which had .800 silver from 1920 to 1949 and .500 1950 to 1960), and Ireland .750 between 1928 and 1943.

British and New Zealand Half crowns 1915 and 1942

These big beautiful coins gave scope for the designers and minters art and that is why I love these magnificient coins - what are your guys favourites. Britain in particular offered several design changes through the years and that makes these coins so collectible.

It is my goal to complete the Kiwi (Nearly done), South African, Irish and British series. Rhodesian coins may be too hard at this stage, but would get one if it came up. Boer coins are expensive, but I have one at least.

A Boer Halfcrown dated 1897, these rebel coins were minted in Germany and are beautiful

The British introduced a Half crown in 1526 as a small gold coin, that was ¼ of a Gold Ryal (10/-) and in 1551 it was reissued in silver as a large silver coin weighing 16 grams and 35mm in size.

They were issued sporadically on hammered blanks between the 1550s and 1641, 1642 to 1650 saw siege and civil war pieces on crude blanks. The coin was largely interchangeable with half Spanish dollars (4 reales) and known as a 4 bits too. Starting in 1664, milled half crowns with edges appeared and an atractive sdesign showing 4 shields with British royal symbols and the King on the back. Sheilded obverses appeared on all subsequent British half crowns through to 1970, with each reign adding a new design and in the case of George III, Victoria, King George V and VI, multiple redesigns.

The size of the coin was standardised in 1816 at 32.5mm and weighing 14.32 grams. This was the first steam press made coins of perfectly circular design. It was the first issue since 1751 and coins appeared most years until 1850, when none were made until 1874. Mainly as the Florin (2/-) was introduced in 1849 and given this coin was worth 80% of the Halfcrown, it was decided to remove it to avoid confusion.

However by 1874, the popularity of the Half crown saw it come back and the fact the design on the Half crown was different and the coin was slightly larger - confusion was less likely. Both coins circulated with different designs through to 1967 (A proof set of the last predecimal coins came out in 1970, but was a collectors item only).

Half Crowns and Florins with smaller coins - spot the difference

In New Zealand, the half crown kept the same reverse between 1933 and 1965 with only Rulers changing. It was easily told apart from the Florin which had the Kiwi and the shield was on the Half crown. However South Africa and Rhodesia kept shields on both coins, the Irish showed a salmon on their Florin and a Horse on the Half crown.

British half crowns are the most common and offer some very beautiful designs. These Elizabethan coins show the last designs.
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.
COINMAN1
I love collecting crown sized coins.
If I input 38.6 in the diameter section of advanced search, I am given a total of 2,024, but if I input 38.61 or 38.62, I am only given 1,934.
Still, this just shows I love this size of coin.
The pre-decimal half crown of Great Britain is my favourite British coin, as it felt, when I was a young lad, that you had serious money in your hand.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
ArnoV
I don't have a particular favourite coin type, but I do have a weak spot for circulating coins with an exchange value < USD 0.005.
Moneytane
Quote: "COINMAN1"​I love collecting crown sized coins.
​If I input 38.6 in the diameter section of advanced search, I am given a total of 2,024, but if I input 38.61 or 38.62, I am only given 1,934.
​Still, this just shows I love this size of coin.
​The pre-decimal half crown of Great Britain is my favourite British coin, as it felt, when I was a young lad, that you had serious money in your hand.
​Cool, I am a big fan of my Half Crown's big brother as well.
Its probably my second favourite after the Half crown - sadly though they are not as freely available as the Half crowns but a big crown will always be welcome in my collection!
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.
Moneytane
The Halfcrown madness continues

Just 2 weeks of Halfcrown buying

NZ 1943 EF and GB 1929 gEF (Also a Palestinian 50 Mils - but its shilling size)

My new highlight, this 1670 stunner and I got an email it's on its way :8D

These 2 joined the family last week, a 1942 NZ gVF and a 1915 UK gVF

And just to prove I am accommodating Half crowns of all type

This super worn WIV (1834) is my first 19th century Half crown that is NOT of Victoria.
However the Carolean coin is nearly 200 years older and showing it up!
Moneytane
Halfcrowns are a lot of fun, as there are several hundred to collect and even just to get a type set would involve at least 22 coins. They would be

1. Gold Halfcrown of King Henry VIII (Rare - thousands)

2. Silver one of Edward VI - High hundreds, but doable, a fine 1551/53 may be $1000ish

3. Mary and Mary or Phillip (Forget it - rare and thousands)

4. Elizabethan - Hard but doable, still its mostly Shillings and smaller coins of hers you see.

5. James I - See above, I have seen Shillings (A friend of mine has several)

6. Charles I - Doable and in the hundreds, civil war and pre civil war types (Quality of hammered coins is ratty though)

7. Commonwealth/Cromwell - Way too hard for hammered, impossible for a milled coin.

8. Charles II - Done, have one already, - but scope to get more and 3 or 4 milled types, 3 hammered types exist and all are rare. Milled coins are quite easy though and the fact I got one like that. Also quite a lot of milled ones (1664 - 1684) were minted in his reign compared to other rulers in this era.

9. James II - Rare as he only ruled for a few years = however possibly a gunmoney one for a few hundreds

10. William and Mary or William III - They get much easier now, its just finding one in New Zealand - hundreds of bucks for a fine one.

11. Anne - Two types - Pre Union (1702 - 06) and Post Union (1707 - 14) - Both are quite easy and in the 3 figures. Vigo coins dated 1702/03 are fairly easy given to a capture of Spanish silver fleet in 1702.

12. George I - Surprisingly hard - but nice fine for say $500ish, a SSC coin is desirable - This was the South Seas Company bubble of 1720/21 and coins have SSC on them.

13. George II - Fairly easy and many good coins with Lima (1745/46) are gettable, again figure low 3s for a decent coin $100 for a worn one. Half crowns are not made after 1751.

14. George III - forget until 1816, this reign was notorious for shortages of silver coins. Even shillings only got made in 1763/1787 and 1798 and all but 1787 are rare. However starting in 1816, finley made coins become available and are easy to get.

15. George IV - 2 types, fairly easy worn coins, nice ones are much harder.

16. William IV - see above, hard in nice cond, easy as heck in worn condition as my one shows.

17. Victoria - A good selection, there are 3 main types - Early head which is 1838 - 1850 and 1874 - 1887 (They made no HC in 1851/73 so they could promote Florins) - Figure $50 most dates in Fine
2nd Type - Jubilee half crowns 1887 - 1892 - first year very easy and UNC only $100 - others much harder
3rd type - Old head 1893 - 1901 - Lovely reverses, easy and preferably nice examples.

Worn coins of the post 1874 proliferate as by this era everyone had halfcrowns jangling in their pockets, laborers and factory workers were usually paid with them and thus saw wide usage.

18. Edward VII - Another nice design used to 1926. These coins are generally easy to get in F/VF grade and expensive above it, again 90% of all coins are worn (VG down). Only rare date is 1905 which is expensive in any condition.

19. George V - 3 types - Type 1 same as E7 coins - silver to 1919 (My 1915 is one) affordable
Type 2 - as above but now 50% silver - usually ugly worn but very affordable coins (1920 - 26/27)
Type 3 - Same silver but new design and much easier to get (1927 - 1936) All this reign aim for EF and at elast VF for earlies - standard worn coins should be VG/Fine

20. George VI - 3 types again - 1. 1937 - 1946, new shield design and 50% silver - best in EF or above.
2. 1947/48 same as above but in cupronickel (Very cheap and worthless in VF or lower condition)
3. 1949/52 same as above but with IND.IMP gone as he was just a king and no longer emperor.

21. Elizabeth II - 2 types - 1 in 1953 longer inscription
1954/1967 - Shorter inscription with OMN gone
1970 - A proof set coin only - never circulated.

I already have examples of 18/21 (All types) and 8/16/17. I will keep this going and updfate you all.
Status changed to Solved (Moneytane, 22-Jan-2020, 05:48AM)
Status changed to Opened (Moneytane, 22-Jan-2020, 05:48AM)
Pcoetzee5
I too enjoy all kinds of coins, however if I have to choose I would say German Notgeld. Fancy the idea that many towns and cities issued their own coins.

After that all South African coins from the ZAR, Union to the Republic, and German Third Reich coins.
Ex-South African now living in Germany
Cerulean
I like Swiss and Japanese coins for their consistent designs and reliable quality.
Dutchgalego
FAO coins are far out my favorites, although some of them are really expensive.
Always ready to swap!  FAO and square coins have my interest.
Orejas
Coins with bicycles are my current pick. 2 of my favourite things in one small package. Olympic issues, TdF, etc. On the lookout for a 100 year of the Tour of Flanders if anyone knows where I can pick one up
Moneytane
If my bidding comes through, I could be adding 3 more coins to my collection.

These are types 13, 15 and 17 - 3rd type - crossing fingers
Legowwww
Dude my fav would have to be the Comman wealth coins they just look so cool with the queen on the back instead of monuments or famous people like on other world coins. I do love the Bahamas 🇧🇸 10 cent it’s loots sweet
Moneytane
And got them.

1746 Lima Halfcrown

1825 George IV Halfcrown

1893 Victorian Old Head Halfcrown (Sadly its been cleaned unnecessarily)
Legowwww
Quote: "Moneytane"​And got them.

​1746 Lima Halfcrown

​1825 George IV Halfcrown

​1893 Victorian Old Head Halfcrown (Sadly its been cleaned unnecessarily)
​ so where do u find thiese old coins do u buy them or have u found them in circulation before decimal day
HongKongCoinCollector
I like anything that, if I go to some place in the world right now and if I had it in my pocket, I would be able to pay for something with it.
That's what the bulk of my collection is currently composed of.
Often things turn up in unexpected places.
Keep looking! ;-)

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 04:53PM.