Republic of China, token? non-circulating commemorative? other? [solved]

7 posts • viewed 122 times

» Quick access to the last post

All-

A quick question: what is this? I haven't seen it in any catalogs and is AU to UNC, which makes me think it's some kind of token or commemorative. It is almost certainly from the Republic of China, and (given where I got it) I'm guessing dates between the 1920s and 1940s. It's copper and about 32 mm in diameter (pretty much the same size as contemporary 20 cash coppers).

Any help would be appreciated- thanks!

thebugguy
Status changed to Solved (thebugguy, 12-Jan-2020, 00:55)
二十八年
五月
Year 28 = 1939
May

You can see an house falling and explosions,
Probably the Bombing of Chongqing the new capital of free China.
Referee of south atlantic islands
Frenchlover-

Thanks for the date translation and the suggestion. I don't think that's it though- here's a larger picture that shows the vignette.

It looks like a country house with a walled yard and trees, with rock formations in the background, not a scene from Chongqing. Any other guesses? I'll do some googling myself....

Thanks!
thebugguy
Status changed to Opened (thebugguy, 12-Jan-2020, 02:10)
You might try the Google traduction chinese manuscrit

* 分林桂飛 *** 中邵政財
念紀车追
I got it :8D
Year 28th, Bronze Medal for the anniversary of the Central Mint Guilin Branch of the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of China
民国二十八年五月财政部中央造币厂桂林分厂周年纪念_民国二十八

On 1937, the Second Sino-Japanese War started. The Central Mint followed the Nationalist Government and moved to safety, opening several branches in Wuchang, Chengdu, Guilin, Lanzhou, and Kunming. All these branches were closed after the war.
Status changed to Solved (thebugguy, 13-Jan-2020, 01:23)
Frenchlover-

Amazing- yes, that's it- thank you!

cheers,
tbg
Wao, really nice medal!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:21.