Menu

Australian Coin Collection Valuation

6 posts • viewed 108 times
DarrellFC
Hi all,
Complete newbie here, I’m hoping for advice on getting a valuation and possible selling of my late father’s coin collection.
It consists of proof sets from 2018 back to pre decimal, probably early 60s, will need to check.
We also have individual coins of what he always said were unique and in very good to mint condition.
Thanks in advance!
cro321
Photos please. In order to give any kind of evaluation photos are needed. :)
DarrellFC
Going to be difficult to post photos as the collection is so vast.
I suppose in the first instance I’m looking for advice on how would be the best way of getting a valuation.
cro321
It's hard to give an estimate of coins without seeing them, especially with such a vague description. You could post a few group photos and we'll point out the more valuable coins if any.

There are other ways of getting an evaluation like taking the coins to a local coin store. Just keep in mind coin stores will offer less than market value since they also have to make a living.

You can also try to figure out values yourself. For this it's best to use multiple sources. First off take a look at NGC price guide: https://www.ngccoin.com/ Keep in mind values on NGC are catalogue values and real values are usually lower. Also take a look at ebay sold auctions and other auction houses and then average it out.

In order to do it yourself you also need to learn the basics of coin grading. Coins have different prices depending on the grade they're in. This is something I find people often overlook when trying to evaluate their inherited collections. If you have a VF coin and find the same coin in AU sold for 100$ that doesn't mean your coin is worth 100$ but less since it's lower grade.

Good luck! :)
DarrellFC
Thank you for your advice, early days but I will follow your suggestions.
thanks again b
PaulDeLucchi
All the above suggestions are correct. I would go to a local coin shop and tell them you need to value these coins for Insurance reasons. Pay him the going rate for an hour or two to appraise the coins. Then you know what you got. Learn about the coins and over time you might find yourself hooked like all of us

I have told my wife in the event of my early passing see this gentleman and follow his advice. He is a coin dealer that I have dealt with for many years. But under no circumstance sell my 5 missing Morgan book or my a-team type set with the gold page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 09:02AM.