"First Release" vs. "First Release"

8 posts • viewed 234 times
I have seen a lot of "first releases" from PCGS/NGC and then occasionally I see the "first releases" from the country mints (US/RCM/Royal/Perth/etc.). Of course the PCGS/NGC slabbed ones demand a premium, but the ones from the mints are typically more affordable.

Is there a difference between the two? If I buy a "first release" directly from the mint, would PCGS/NGC label it as such, should I ever have the money to send it to them for review?
Interesting article regarding this issue:

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/first-strike-coins-768371

In my humble opinion this "First Strike or First Release" designation is more related to investing than to the hobby of coin collecting. Nothing wrong with investing but I enjoy collecting more.
Just another silly marketing gimmic which I Don not want to fall for. And honestly I feel its a bad investment when you read what it means. To me I feel its a dishonest practice because it have nothing to do with the coin itself. Espically the wording first strike. First release to me sounds not too bad.

The very good example are those bullions with the word first strike. I really feel that they are too much. Just anyhow only. And bullion are strike in millions of mintage most of the time. They are worth collecting but not a good investment most of the time.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
I had read a few years ago, and this article also mentions it, that there was a lawsuit against PCGS & NGC for using the terminology "first strike". Now I am seeing the designation(s) "first release" from both these companies and also from the mints.

I am a poor collector who can't afford the premiums that is added to the PCGS/NGC slabbed coins. However, I do like the the fact that the "first release" coins are brand spanking new, all rolled up in fancy wrappers, and if I can get a roll or 2 at a decent price, I'd like that. Specially for the coins that are only minted for special occasions, are legal tender, but not released for standard circulation.
Quote: "manik100"​I had read a few years ago, and this article also mentions it, that there was a lawsuit against PCGS & NGC for using the terminology "first strike". Now I am seeing the designation(s) "first release" from both these companies and also from the mints.

​I am a poor collector who can't afford the premiums that is added to the PCGS/NGC slabbed coins. However, I do like the the fact that the "first release" coins are brand spanking new, all rolled up in fancy wrappers, and if I can get a roll or 2 at a decent price, I'd like that. Specially for the coins that are only minted for special occasions, are legal tender, but not released for standard circulation.
​My advise would be not to buy these coins with the label as first release or first strike. Reason being is this. In the mintage of say 500k, first release or 1st strike slabbed cost maybe 80 usd. (example only. I Don know the recent prices) others graded cost ard 50 usd. Raw coin cost say 30 usd. So given the example, you still can own very good condition coin due to the mintage. Buy normal graded wil do. Don go for those silly perimum labels. Of course there is those that comes with the design label for a few dollars more that makes it to 60.

If you reason with me, I say 1st strike or 1st release has nothing to do with the chronological the coin was produced. And I would say the mintage is just too many of them. So I would get onlyeither the normal slabbed or the slabbed with design. Other wise I get raw and buy lighthouse everslab and slab it myself. Cheap and good.

I am also a poor collector just like you. So I always reason why do I have to spend this amount of money? Does it make any logical sense? If I like the coin, I buy it. I Don treat these as investment as they varies and most of the time lose money. Unless you have something very super special. If not, forget about it.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
Thanks for the advice.

I would also rather buy an ungraded gold coin rather than this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-S-American-Eagle-Silver-Enhanced-Rev-Proof-PCGS-First-Strike-Gold-Shield/202864568910?hash=item2f3babaa4e:g:bVAAAOSwy9ZeB7qu

I am assuming "gold shield" is yet another gimmick.
From the PCGS web page:

"With PCGS Gold Shield, each coin is imaged in high resolution, registered, and checked against PCGS’ vast proprietary imaging database. Our Gold Shield system benefits from artificial intelligence and machine learning, helping our graders quickly identify and remove counterfeits from the market. PCGS Gold Shield may then identify lost or stolen pieces resubmitted to us, ensuring your coin’s maximum value."

Sore of like DNA for coins :8D
Quote: "LargoRich"​From the PCGS web page:

​"With PCGS Gold Shield, each coin is imaged in high resolution, registered, and checked against PCGS’ vast proprietary imaging database. Our Gold Shield system benefits from artificial intelligence and machine learning, helping our graders quickly identify and remove counterfeits from the market. PCGS Gold Shield may then identify lost or stolen pieces resubmitted to us, ensuring your coin’s maximum value."

​Sore of like DNA for coins :8D
​DAMN!!

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:24.