Menu

Auction sites

12 posts • viewed 302 times
manik100
What are some good auction sites for coins, aside from eBay?
AshsCollectablesStore
Personally I don't know of any.
eBay is generally for the common collector for its ease of use etc.
(yes I know people here think eBay is a joke but I don't think they know how to use it properly as I always get a good bargain and results!)

It really depends on what you're looking for.

Common coins you could do easy on ebay, anything expensive or rare you will be better off with a proper auction website.
-Ash
manik100
I use eBay to buy coins, usually from sellers I have purchased from before. In auctions, I have to of course check the seller's reliability and then go from there.

If there are some reliable sites, where I just have to research the true value of a coin, and not worry about the seller because I am assuming these reputable sites have already weeded out the bad ones, then that would be great.
apuking
For high end auctions you can look at sites such as sixbid.com
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
LEÓNIDÁS
Try numisbids: https://www.numisbids.com/
drwow
Proxibid is good, but beware some of the auction houses have crummy terms for shipping and gouge the prices
apuking
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/ is also good but as stated before.
Sixbid and Numisbids are definitely best for pure coin auctions.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
adanieluy
I use Ebay for for fairly common coins, but sometimes I find good deals on silver coins.

I have made a few purchases on Katz Auctions, they use to have good coins, some prices don't raise excessively, for non US coins, and shipping cost is very accessible.

I have also bought on Invaluable and Proxibid, but they only are a collection of links to auction houses.

On the other hand, I had a very bad experience with Heritage Auctions, I bought a 1897 silver coin to a decent price (about 100 dollars), but then they wanted to charge 70 dollars for shipment, I claimed was excessive, delayed answer for weeks, and when I asked to send it to another US city, they said had to charge a fee over 30 dollars, and then owing to time from auction, they wanted to charge me 5% for the time they delayed it. Is strange, since I know people who buy to them and are very happy with them; maybe I was not lucky and got the wrong representative on charge of my purchase. They threatened me saying they would close my account, so I just thanked them to save me from closing on my side.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Catalog Referee for Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Puerto Rico
co-referee for Brazil, Curaçao, Cayman Islands, Netherlands West Indies, Saint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
Dutchgalego
Here is where I, once a month, buy coins.
You will need to register (create an account).

https://www.marktplaats.nl/l/postzegels-en-munten/#q:munten
Always ready to swap!  FAO and square coins have my interest.
manik100
Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of these sites are pretty high end, but their collections are phenomenal.

One of these sites led me to greatcollections.com, and I tested it out by buying a graded 2020 Silver Eagle for a decent "Buy it Now" price. I just didn't see any non-graded stuff on this site. Anyone else have experience buying from here?
Docarooche
Try www.greatcollections.com. They offer a wide variety of coins all around the world, with a buyer's premium of about 10%, half what Heritage charges.

If anyone is interested in the high end, let me know. There are small boutique auction houses that cater to the very wealthy. But most focus only on U.S. coins, whereas Heritage and Great Collections offer a variety of world coins as well. By the way, I recommend having an account with Heritage if for no other reason than to access their incredible images and auction history.

Enjoy the journey!
manik100
Quote: "Docarooche"​Try www.greatcollections.com. They offer a wide variety of coins all around the world, with a buyer's premium of about 10%, half what Heritage charges.

​If anyone is interested in the high end, let me know. There are small boutique auction houses that cater to the very wealthy. But most focus only on U.S. coins, whereas Heritage and Great Collections offer a variety of world coins as well. By the way, I recommend having an account with Heritage if for no other reason than to access their incredible images and auction history.

​Enjoy the journey!
​Yeah it looks pretty decent.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:43PM.