UK circulating commemorative or just commemorative?

7 posts • viewed 308 times
Hello!
I am very interested in UK circulating coinage and I am paying attention on coins that royal mint issues. There are few new coins added to catalogue here on numista which royal mint never said they were released for circulation. They are curently only in sets as just commemorative ones. My question is how can somebody add a coin to catalogue and say it is circulating commemorative since royal mint did not release it yet. Even if they say it will eventually be released, it is still not so I think it should not be in catalogue as circulating commemorative.
I hope you understand what I am saying and also I hope I am wrong.
Here are the coins in question:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces191879.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces191962.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces191968.html
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces192001.html
Well you are right of course, they are not circulating coins because they have only been released in Mint (Unc) and Proof sets so far.

I believe the intention is that they will be released as circulating coins sometime in 2020 but of course that can't be guaranteed.

Personally I would not have included a mintage line for these coins showing them as circulating coins until I knew they were actually released by the Mint for circulation. And to carry this a little further maybe they should be shown as Non-Circulating until they are. Those records are easily updated when it is required.

This is the way I manage the Australian Coins, for instance the 2020 $1 MOR coin so far is only released in Sets, so we don't have a circulating coin mintage line yet. However the actual coin has already been circulated in 2019 so it is shown as circulating.

Happy for other members to add their views on this.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
Quote: "brismike"​Personally I would not have included a mintage line for these coins showing them as circulating coins until I knew they were actually released by the Mint for circulation. And to carry this a little further maybe they should be shown as Non-Circulating until they are. Those records are easily updated when it is required.

That is exactly my point. Add them to catalogue as non-circulating as they are and than later change if necessary. Maybe they never get released and referee forgots to update and then we have non existant coin in catalogue. This is why I posted this, so we don't have wrong coins on numista.
I'm pretty sure the circulation year lines were added based on information from the RM but in order to keep everyone happy, these lines have now been deleted.
Just because you can't see it ... doesn't mean it isn't there - Anon.

Coin catalogue referee for England, United Kingdom & pre-Union South Africa.
Banknote catalogue referee for England & United Kingdom.
This post is not about UK coins, just wanted to explain what happens in my country:

Central Bank of Uruguay (BCU) is the official issuer, but needs approval of the government to order the coins (we have no minthouse in our country, so from 1857 to date, coins are minted outside Uruguay.

From several years ago, when government write the law granting permission to mint coins, all coins are created as circulating, even silver and gold ones. The laws always say something like: "coins will be valid and mandatory for payments, etc. etc.", and also give some description about how coins must be, in the law is stated composition, size and general design, allowing BCU to decide the final images, lettering, etc., while they be within the limits given by each law. Also BCU is granted the right to decide demonetization of coins when they think is the correct time, and to sell the demonetized coins.

Usually BCU demonetize the coins on the moment they are issued to public, or even previously to that moment. In some decrees they include "to preserve their numismatic value and conservation". In fact they are managed as commemorative non-circulating coins, but the creation law give them the range of circulating commemorative.

On last years there were 2 exceptions: silver $ 500 from 2006, and $ 1000 from 2011 were demonetized on September 2019. Those coins were not sold before demonetization date, you could go to BCU cash, and just ask them for the coin, and they exchanged them for its face value. People also were allowed to exchange these coins for regular cash, but I doubt it happened, neither I knew someone used them for payments. Only strange detail is these coins always came in plastic capsule.

This comment is to show the line between circulating and non-circulating coins maybe very thin, and hard to define.
Just 10 options: you understand binary, or you don't.
Catalog Referee Coins, Banknotes & Exonumia: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador, Zamunda, Parva Domus and more.
There are Circulating coins that are meant to be circulated at their Face Value.

There are Non-Circulating Coins that are Legal Tender, but not meant to be circulated. They usually have a Face Value that is much lower than the Sale Price/ Value or Numismatic value

There are Non-Circulating coins that are Legal Tender that have a higher value than their Face Value and they sometimes escape into circulation and get used at Face Value by people who haven't got a clue about coins.

There are Non Circulating Bullion coins that have sometimes a very high Face Value but an even higher Metal Value. If you find one of these in circulation please send it to me. haha.

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia & New Zealand Coins & Exonumia, Papua New Guinea & Cocos & Keeling Islands Coins & Australian Banknotes. I Collect > Australia, UK & Dependancies, NZ Sets, USA & Euros plus Misc Exonumia.
The Brexit coin has now been released into circulation.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 02:39.