1959 Lincoln Penny No Mint Mark

11 posts • viewed 363 times
I’m wondering if someone can help me with identifying this penny. It weighs 3.1 like a normal penny, but it looks like a dime planchet, but then it tries to stick to a magnet. Looking at it from the side, it looks half copper/half steel.
Thank you ?
In Feburary 2017 there is an article in Coin News of a 59 D going up for auction struck on a dime planchet. That was the only reference I could find.
I found that as well, but it wouldn’t be trying to stick to a magnet. It only does that on one side.

I think I found a possibility... I just don’t know what that planchet is made of?
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 13-Feb-2020, 06:39AM)
That is just odd, have no ideal on this one. The Philippines 10 C 1959. The Philippines did not make 10 centavo coin in 1959, but did in 1958 and 1960. And was made of nickel bass and weighed 2 grams. So I do not think that is it. good luck, that is one strange cent.
It is, what it is.
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ That is just odd, have no ideal on this one. The Philippines 10 C 1959. The Philippines did not make 10 centavo coin in 1959, but did in 1958 and 1960. And was made of nickel bass and weighed 2 grams. So I do not think that is it. good luck, that is one strange cent.
​Thank you for the information. I thought I was on to something!
I think its a normal 1959 Philadelphia (no mint-mark) cent, which has been plated.
Yes Steve27 it sure looks like a plate job. Iam thrown off by seeing the copper on the edge. But it can be done.
It is, what it is.
Quote: "Steve27"​I think its a normal 1959 Philadelphia (no mint-mark) cent, which has been plated.
​Thank you! I'll check into that.
Quote: "ALLRED1950"​ Yes Steve27 it sure looks like a plate job. Iam thrown off by seeing the copper on the edge. But it can be done.
​The thing that strikes me as odd is, if it's plated with something that makes it magnetic, wouldn't it try to stick to the magnet on both sides? I'll try to post a picture of it with other coins so you can see the color better. When I was sorting pennies, I originally thought it was a dime!

Thanks for all the responses.
I believe it was steel plated to the point that it is magnetic.
pure nickel is also magnetic. if it is nickel plate, on one side might be thick enough to stick to magnet but the other side is too thin or a different alloy. copper-nickel alloys get non-magnetic at around 5% copper.
steel plate would also just rust away and look ugly afters one years, nickel would stay shiney.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:25AM.