Menu

new rules international shipments

14 posts • viewed 217 times
Dutchgalego
Dear Numismatic friends,

Due to the upgraded control of letters world wide, Post NL changed it's rules concerning international shipments (inside EU and/or overseas).
Since january the 1st all letters containing something more than paper will be accounted as an international parcel shipment. The costs are 10 euro (no track & trace) just a barcode to identify the parcel.

https://www.postnl.nl/campagnes/internationaal/verandering-regelgeving/

Money is not the problem, but the control of all parcels world wide is. The post controllers world wide need to send and get a form (description of what's inside) and the value of the parcel in advance. A wrong description is punished by law and can lead to fee's and/or destruction of the parcel.

Concerning letters/parcels inside the Netherlands there wont be any control in advance, all remain the same.
I have no idea of this also applies to your country.

In other words be aware of these developments. It's up to you what you decide to do. From now own I only will swap inside the Netherlands. Swaps in person are always a possibility.
Always ready to swap!  FAO and square coins have my interest.
druzhynets Numista team
Mooie tijden! ;(

Now I understand why my registered letter to Germany vanished for 10 days and then reappeared...
ROMA AETERNA
Dutchgalego
Quote: "druzhynets"​Mooie tijden! ;(

​Now I understand why my registered letter to Germany vanished for 10 days and then reappeared...
​Nou en of!
Indeed!

Gelukkig kunnen we nog binnen Nederland blijven ruilen.
We are lucky that we can keep swapping within the Netherlands.
apuking
We had the same in Germany since december 2018 I believe.
All coins I send abroad now I have to send with DHL
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
Dutchgalego
Quote: "apuking"​We had the same in Germany since december 2018 I believe.
​All coins I send abroad now I have to send with DHL
​Doesn't matter much which service you use to send your coins. The point is that all international shipments will be controlled by the local post distribution centers. No forms in advance than you can loose your parcel.
apuking
Yes I have to mark what is inside but these guys are usually not very knowledgeable, so I will write token or numismatic object in bronze for example.
Problem for me is that in rhe past I could send internationally secued and with tracking for less than 5€ that service now costs me now 13 € but without any real tracking.
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
Dutchgalego
@atpuking
True, those post costs make it extremely expensive to swap coins. It's easier and cheaper to buy coins at the local coinsmarkt.
numinis
Quote: "Dutchgalego"​@atpuking
​True, those post costs make it extremely expensive to swap coins. It's easier and cheaper to buy coins at the local coinsmarkt.
​But, if I understand it correctly, the changes should affect the worldwide sales market too, because shipping now will be prohibitively expensive or impossible for anyone, not just for swappers.
ūūūūū
COINMAN1
I have been paying around £9.00 for quite some time now to send a registered package to Europe from the UK.
Luckily, I do not have to fill in any customs form. The customs form is only used when package goes beyond Europe. I usually write 'collectables '. Never lost any packages yet, even when going to South America or Asian countries.
Whether this will change when we are finally separated from Europe, I do not know.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Dutchgalego
Quote: "numinis"
Quote: "Dutchgalego"​@atpuking
​​True, those post costs make it extremely expensive to swap coins. It's easier and cheaper to buy coins at the local coinsmarkt.
​​
​​But, if I understand it correctly, the changes should affect the worldwide sales market too, because shipping now will be prohibitively expensive or impossible for anyone, not just for swappers.
​The main problem is that letters containing something else than paper, are now parcels. This implicates that a form must to be filled and sent in advance and the parcel may be checked out and/or confiscated by rules breach. Doesn't matter at all if a coin is swapped, bought or sold. The international shipment rules remain the same.

A positive development is that letters and parcels sent from a Dutch adress to a Dutch adress don't get any kind of control check .
Dutchgalego
Quote: "COINMAN1"​I have been paying around £9.00 for quite some time now to send a registered package to Europe from the UK.
​Luckily, I do not have to fill in any customs form. The customs form is only used when package goes beyond Europe. I usually write 'collectables '. Never lost any packages yet, even when going to South America or Asian countries.
​Whether this will change when we are finally separated from Europe, I do not know.
​Be aware that a shipment inside the EU is an international shipment too. Without your parcel may be lost. The post office has the right to open your letter in order to identify what's inside.
COINMAN1
As I go to my local post office quite regularly, I always ask them if I need any further I formation on the enve!ope.
They have told me many times, that I do not need a customs form for packages within Europe. Obviously, this may change when the UK finally leave the EU.
I expect new guidelines will come out later in the year. I have no qualms adding the customs form, but 'collectables ' is all I have written, so will continue with this unless new instructions state differently.
Never had a package go missing, or indeed, had one opened.
qwerty844448
It's the same here too. Technically speaking, letters than contain something else other than paper will be classified as a small packet. If the coins I'm sending are less than 50g, I will stick to sending it as a letter. I will usually tell them that it's just game cards. And when the postal clerk ask me what's the hard object inside, I will always insist that it is just game cards. If I'm sending anything around 100g, I will send it as a small packet and declare it as game tokens.

It's quite risky to swap internationally now but unfortunately, there aren't a lot of active members on Numista from my country.
Every coin is a piece of art
COINMAN1
My post office counter personnel know exactly what I am sending. Either coins, banknotes or a combination of both.
Once I have told them the country, it is weighed, stamped and paid for. If it is for outside of Europe they always ask if I have attached the customs form, which I have, so it is still weighed, stamped and paid for.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:03PM.