Help identifying a coin from Nepal?

7 posts • viewed 282 times
I can't find a way to differentiate KM#707 and KM#707a when the coin is dated VS 2005. I have four of these 1 paisa coins, all dated VS 2005. They all look the same, measure the same, weigh the same, smell the same, taste the same. So how do I know if they're 707 or 707a???

Thank you for any light you can shed.

Drew
There's an error in the Numista coin data. KM#707 is made in "Copper"

You might issue a correction request
Referee of south atlantic islands
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 14-Feb-2020, 17:14)
Thank you Frenchlover. Given photos I've seen on eBay and other places, that makes perfect sense. Cheers, Drew
Hi Drew,
Can you post the pictures of your coin here?

Regards,
Nabin
The copper version (one of the four I have):

As per my knowledge and conversation with fellow numismatists, copper version of the coin doesn't exist, though Krause mentions it. The coin in picture is brass with a slight red tint. Afterall brass is also a copper alloy. Having said that, I feel that km707 & km707a is the same, and numista catalogue be updated accordingly. The metal being brass.
You make really good points Nabin. As I understand it, "brass" is just copper that has been alloyed with some amount of zinc. Given that I have never encountered a VS 2005 that shares the same color with all the other years of #707a, perhaps the situation here is that for some reason in 2005 the Mint simply used a different brass alloy (more copper, less zinc) to make this coin. In other words, the alloy percentages could be different, but all years would still be "brass".

I started a chemical test that might tell me if there's zinc in the coin. Might also see if a conductivity test reveals anything.

I think you are also right, Nabin, in that there is no difference between #707 and #707a -- afterall, Krause's descriptions for these two numbers are exactly the same -- "Brass, 20mm" (though a weight is given for 707, but not 707a). And no other source I have describes any varieties for the 1 paisa coin minted from 2001-2006. Simply put: #707 does not exist.

Drew

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 01:50.