Menu

Armenia discussion - please vote.

7 posts • viewed 71 times

This message aims at: requesting the creation or the modification of a country in the catalog

Votes: 1
Jarcek Numista team
Hello there!

We now have Armenia and Cilician Armenia split in the catalogue. There is also third issuer coming - Kingdom of Tashir-Dzoraget.

Would you be in favor in putting them together? While Armenia had somehow "fluid" history in terms of territorry, all these issuers are related, so I guess we could group them.

What do you think, yes or no?
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
apuking
I would say no as the territories where completely different
If you like coins, medals and tokens with ship motives follow my new instagram account with regular updates @numisnautiker
Coinman48
I vote No. Keep the territories separate.

Will
Sulfur Numista team
I agree with the others so far: keep Cilician Armenia separate.

Armenia and Cilician Armenia are connected by "See also" links, which I think is good enough. I have encountered a couple people who just assumed Cilician Armenia was in Armenia because of the name, but geographically, this area was in southern Turkey. If we were to make Cilician Armenia a sub-section of Armenia, it may reinforce any possible confusion.

But this place does not have much to with Turkey aside location. It is a confusing issuer to place, I think.
Referee for the Avars, the Burgundians, Courland, Danish Estonia, Dorpat, Etruria, the Gepids, Gotland, the Herulians, Livonia, the Lombards, Narva, Ösel-Wiek, the Ostrogoths, Reval, Riga, and the Vandals; co-referee for Livoestonika.
January First-of-May
Placing Cilician Armenia under Armenia would IMHO be completely incorrect, and shouldn't even really be considered.
Placing Cilician Armenia under Turkey... is possible, I guess, though the two states doesn't actually have much relation except geographically. IMHO the current separation is for the best.

As for Tashir-Dzoraget (can we just call it Kingdom of Lori?) - well, it might end up under Armenia, I guess; it's close enough. OTOH, the capital was in what is now Azerbaijan. I'm not really sure.
Then again, when the alternative is making it an essentially-impossible level 1 country (does any Numista member have coins from there?), placing it under Armenia is probably better.

We might need to add another Armenian issuer, incidentally - Dvin, City council of (coin 1, likely coin 2).
Jarcek Numista team
Ok, I think I heard enough, idea rejected.
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Status changed to Rejected (Jarcek, 15-Feb-2020, 10:40PM)
Sulfur Numista team
What about placing it under the Crusader states?

The area is geographically correct, and Cilician Armenia had strong ties with the Crusaders.

It also seems a few auction houses list Cilician Armenia along with the Crusaders:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=cilician+armenia+crusader&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&thesaurus=1&order=0&currency=usd&company=

And here is a screenshot from a page in the book called "Coins of the Crusaders":

(However, they do not go on to list the coins from Cilician Armenia.)

-----

And I would think to include Tashir-Dzoraget under regular Armenia. 0:)
Referee for the Avars, the Burgundians, Courland, Danish Estonia, Dorpat, Etruria, the Gepids, Gotland, the Herulians, Livonia, the Lombards, Narva, Ösel-Wiek, the Ostrogoths, Reval, Riga, and the Vandals; co-referee for Livoestonika.

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 04:55PM.