Banknotes

131 posts • viewed 1392 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

[Miscellaneous]
Upvotes: 46
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

Extremely happy with the new banknote section! A dream coming true! Thanks Xavier! I will be available for Brazil banknote section and everything inside my possibilities to help to improve it! Congrats!
Sub Quo Signo Nata Stabit
Wow
Quote: "Xavier"​I confirm I can now see banknote requests from BCNumismatics, Chilian and ngdawa :)
​I'll let the referees review them ;)
​It. Looks. Awesome! :8D

BTW, I did send you a message about an hour ago. I am working until Thursday, but then I will add banknotes like never before. ;)
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
It feels like a Dream to be able to add banknotes to Numista. FINALLY!! But, why in the World are you guys adding banknotes without any descriptions? Without descriptions it feels like you're just spamming the catalogue. Please put some effort behind this.
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
The details can be added afterwards.
In at least one case it's hard to describe the words because the alphabet isnt there. But there is plenty of information for identifying your note. Also, it allows experts to edit and get the credit.
Quote: "kommodore"​The details can be added afterwards.
​Sure, but it invites people to do as little as possible. Now there's already entries without pictures and KM# instead of Pick. If we don't do it right from the start, we'll gonna have a messy catalogue before the week is over.
It invites people to participate for sure. And it invites the editors among us. You should consider what listings you are not seeing. Please dont assume that everything is getting approved.
Most of those without pictures were added by me. They are banknotes I have, but my camera is awful. Would prefer to find other souces for pictures rather than to use my own.

I think it would be great to get a comprehensive country list going first. We have 27 issuers right now, but a lot more that need to appear. And I imagine it would be easier to assign referees if we can build the country list first since we will know where referees are needed.

On a side note, all my contributions are as a regular member. I have not been granted rights for anything more yet. 0:)
Side-note: when adding a banknote, the option at the bottom says 'Add the coin'.
Quote: "Sulfur"​​On a side note, all my contributions are as a regular member. I have not been granted rights for anything more yet. 0:)
​Sorry I missed to grant you the rights. It's done.
Quote: "Sulfur"​Side-note: when adding a banknote, the option at the bottom says 'Add the coin'.
​It's fixed ;)
Thank you x2! :D

I think there will eventually need to be some sort of separation of the country list. For example, we have Cambodia appearing as a second-level issuer. I think it would be safe to say the Khmer Empire did not issue banknotes, so while it works for coins, Cambodia should only be a first-level issuer in regards to banknotes.

Not sure what a good solution to that would be though...
Hi people. I just saw the banknotes section.

Generally I think sort by country then follow by issuer is still the best. Example in Singapore, last 150 years currency has been circulating in 3 different rulings. Malayan notes, straits settlement, and the current currency we are using. In case if some of you do not know, during malayan and straits settlement time, when the China migrants came to Singapore, some Chinese currency are still circulated here. So as not to create confusion, stick to originality is still the best.
Be kind to people. Sharing is Caring. Collect what you like and not by the Crowd.
To seek for perfection, it is too painful and there is a very high price to pay. To seek for something comfortable is more easy. To seek for nothing is even more easy.
Quote: "Sulfur"​​I think there will eventually need to be some sort of separation of the country list. For example, we have Cambodia appearing as a second-level issuer. I think it would be safe to say the Khmer Empire did not issue banknotes, so while it works for coins, Cambodia should only be a first-level issuer in regards to banknotes.

​Not sure what a good solution to that would be though...
​I just simplified the country list to avoid having dummy issuer sections (e.g. a section "Cambodia" containing only one issuer "Cambodia").
Quote: "Xavier"
Quote: "Sulfur"​​I think there will eventually need to be some sort of separation of the country list. For example, we have Cambodia appearing as a second-level issuer. I think it would be safe to say the Khmer Empire did not issue banknotes, so while it works for coins, Cambodia should only be a first-level issuer in regards to banknotes.
​​
​​Not sure what a good solution to that would be though...
​​I just simplified the country list to avoid having dummy issuer sections (e.g. a section "Cambodia" containing only one issuer "Cambodia").
​Perfect! Thank you very much. :D
Two more comments:

This is when viewing a banknote request.

And for pages without pictures:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note201899.html

The standard picture says 'coin', and... maybe it should rectangular, if that is possible? (8
Hello Sulfur, I just changed both.
Great!

Maybe getting a little picky, but is there a way to make them appear side-by-side, like the pages with pictures? While stacking the images does kind of make sense, I fear it would look quite weird with the veritcal notes.

Also... something is going on with Albania.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pays.php?ct=banknote

This note is appearing under first-level Albania:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note202136.html

But I cannot seem to change it to appear with the other Albanian notes (under second-level Albania).
Xavier,

We are unable to add any banknotes from Abyssinia. Prior to the Emperor's request that the world use the Name Ethiopia, notes were issued in the name of Abyssinia.

What currency to use for modern Scoth notes? A newly created one or the UK pound sterling?

Will euros be listed under the European Union as a nation, or the notes under each member state name?

It might be a good time to consider initial planning or refs for Numisdoc pages for signature chart docs. And German watermarks.
Euro banknotes should be listed under 'European Monetary Union', not 'European Union', as there are European Union member states that still have their own currencies, such as Poland, Bulgaria, & Romania.

Of course, the country can be referred to.

A similar situation applies prior to 2008 with the East Caribbean States, where notes were issued by each island.

Aidan.
I think it would be best if Euro notes were listed in the respective countries, like how the Euro coins are handled now.
In year line the country prefix is written. Isn't that the easiest way? Just like this one here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note201829.html
Whichever Xavier chooses...a new nation will need created. If the notes are listed under the individual states than it might be ok as is. I have been accepting euro listings under member states in the meantime.
Quote: "Sulfur"​I think it would be best if Euro notes were listed in the respective countries, like how the Euro coins are handled now.
​Euro notes have a common design - but the serial number prefix letter is used to indicate the issuing country.

Aidan.
Quote: "BCNumismatics"
Quote: "Sulfur"​I think it would be best if Euro notes were listed in the respective countries, like how the Euro coins are handled now.
​​Euro notes have a common design - but the serial number prefix letter is used to indicate the issuing country.

​Aidan.
​Oh, I was unaware of that. That makes me less sure...

The design is the same, but the country can be identified. It is a small difference, but the difference signifyings a whole country...
On a side note, we are at 219 countries and 279 issuers.

The last two major countries I could find notes from are Turkmenistan and Transnistria (creation requests pending). I say major because there are still various state issuers that must be looked into, as well as new countries that must be created. :°
Quote: "Oklahoman"​Xavier,

​We are unable to add any banknotes from Abyssinia. Prior to the Emperor's request that the world use the Name Ethiopia, notes were issued in the name of Abyssinia.

​What currency to use for modern Scoth notes? A newly created one or the UK pound sterling?

​Will euros be listed under the European Union as a nation, or the notes under each member state name?

​It might be a good time to consider initial planning or refs for Numisdoc pages for signature chart docs. And German watermarks.
​Hello,
  • Abyssinia: Let's add the banknotes under "Ethiopia", the same way as we list coins from Burma into "Myanma", by keeping only the current name. I added Abyssinia as a synonym of Ethiopia for the search engine.

• Scottish notes: I created a distinct currency. Generally speaking, we should avoid mixing currencies on Numista for different issuers (even if they share the same currency legally speaking)

• Euro: I believe we should list euro banknotes into a single issuer, since all countries of the Eurozone share the same banknotes. This is similar to what we did for coins of the African monetary unions. "Eurozone" is now selectable as an issuer.

• Signature and watermarks: Sure, I'll happily support anyone who would like to start working on this. Perhaps let's start separate forum threads for those.

Generally speaking, we should also start working on adapting the guidelines of the catalogue to banknotes.
Ok,
Tons of users use the Numista catalog to count the number of coins, to search new issuers, to have a nice idea of the number of coins for each country, etc...

But now is everything messing up with banknotes and coins mixed together in the data on the charts of "My Coins"

Would be relevant to have a complete separation betweeen banknotes and coins, I would suggest even a different site (inside Numista of course) with, lets say, other color. (green for banknotes, blue for coins, for instance)

Please tell me there will be separation, we want to know the number of countries for coins only, not all mixed together.
Quote: "Geison"​Ok,
​Tons of users use the Numista catalog to count the number of coins, to search new issuers, to have a nice idea of the number of coins for each country, etc...

​But now is everything messing up with banknotes and coins mixed together in the data on the charts of "My Coins"

​Would be relevant to have a complete separation betweeen banknotes and coins, I would suggest even a different site (inside Numista of course) with, lets say, other color. (green for banknotes, blue for coins, for instance)

​Please tell me there will be separation, we want to know the number of countries for coins only, not all mixed together.
​This is the very reason we wanted a sister site, Notista, to avoid this confusion.
I really like the Numista site, I like coins and the vast majority of collectors also prefer coins. The entry of banknotes along with coins, became a disorganization. If this continues, a reverse effect can happen, instead of growing the Numista, it can decrease. I hope that the banknotes and coins will soon be separated.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​You and a thousand others have put in this request. More chance of a human walking on Mars before it happens
​Well, look where we are now :-D
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
Quote: "Adilson"​I really like the Numista site, I like coins and the vast majority of collectors also prefer coins. The entry of banknotes along with coins, became a disorganization. If this continues, a reverse effect can happen, instead of growing the Numista, it can decrease. I hope that the banknotes and coins will soon be separated.
​Yes, there are some parts of the site temporarily not working perfectly due to the banknotes moving in. Please give Xavier more than 2 days to get banknotes integrated in the site.
Quote: "Xavier (on april 13th)"​Please note that some parts of website are not fully ready for banknotes yet, especially the collection dashboard (you can add banknotes to your collection, but the stats of your collection may be wrong), wishes and swaps.
In the meantime our basic banknote catalog is finally coming to life! Keep those banknotes coming :)
Just call me Bram
Hello,
I confirm there will be a clear separation between your collection and swap lists of coins and banknotes. This is just not done yet.
In the meantime, you may prefer not entering any banknote in your collection, until the change is complete within a couple of weeks.
I have logged in after a break of a few months, and I am absolutely delighted to see the banknotes section.

It looks wwaaayyyyy better than I thought it would, and I am sure it will continue to grow as more people start updating their banknotes collection. I plan on doing just that during these quarantined times.

Great job Xavier, and the rest of the admins, and all the banknotes referees.

And thank you!

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:10PM.