Banknotes

131 posts • viewed 1378 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

[Miscellaneous]
Upvotes: 46
Downvotes: 0

» Quick access to the last post

It has probably been suggested a few times, but can we add a banknotes section to this site? Keep the format similar to the current coin catalog. I have tried several sites but they get too complex for just simple adding & trading.

Thanks.
You and a thousand others have put in this request. More chance of a human walking on Mars before it happens
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
Numista is without peer for cataloging and swapping. Unfortunately it is without the other equal half of numismatics: banknotes.
Quote: "COINMAN1"​You and a thousand others have put in this request. More chance of a human walking on Mars before it happens
​Hahaha
Quote: "Oklahoman"​Numista is without peer for cataloging and swapping. Unfortunately it is without the other equal half of numusmatics: banknotes.
​I am sure there are enough banknotes collectors here with the knowledge to correctly catalog it, and I am sure they would gladly lend a hand.

And I am pretty sure there's more to it than that. It may not be as easy as it is in my mind. Perhaps one of the admins can shed more light on it.
Having many hundred bills to swap for coins (as I collect only Notgeld), I am all for it...
LP
Make a sister site called Notemista

Same template as numista, copy paste. Job done.
Quote: "FeroxDrakenHK"​Same template as numista, copy paste. Job done.
​Not that simple .. Notes have different specs than coins and a lot more variations ..
? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
There really is no alternative though, realbanknotes seems like a dead website and hard to upload a collection since you need to earn 'points', everything else is out of date, poorly designed, dead or useless....
Hello,
I never collected paper money, so I'll need more information before assessing the feasibility. If we add a banknote section, let's do it properly.
  • Could you please recommend some online resources to understand the basics about banknote collecting? I'm interesting in learning the vocabulary, what to look on a banknotes, how people collect banknotes, the variants, serial numbers, etc.
  • What elements should be used to describe a banknote. I understand some parts are common with coins (picture, description, catalogue number), some may be different (no years?, no mintmarks, size, signatures?)
  • Coins have their exonumia counterparts, with medals, tokens, fantasy coins, bullion rounds, etc. For paper money, what banknote-related documents should we include? Fantasy notes, assignats...?

Banknotenews.com
banknotebook.com
Ibns.com (International Banknote Society) they can provide informainferior new and young collectors.
I am a contributor to the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money. It is the banknote catalog of Krause, so please do not hold that against me .
People collect notes by serial, by designer, by nation, by color, by theme, by denomination, by type...basically in as many numerous ways as they collect coinage. There are also patterns specimens, color trials, unreleased notes ...
In addition to size, color, issuer, when information is known on the designer, engraver, printing firm, and year-month-day of issue, it should be recorded. Counterfeit technology when known is usually included: threads in the paper, watermarking, black light highlights...
I think there would be room for assignants, fantasy notes which would include fantasy issues, and denominations like the 0 euros, perhaps advertising pieces on banknote look alike, and adverts on the back of one sided banknotes, as well banknotes of notgeld, concentration camps, etc.
Indeed, one way numista is ideal for an expansion into notes is that you have made possible to more quickly set up a template for notes because of the years put into developing the page template for coins.
I googled new to banknote collecting just now and there are videos and information sites including the ibns.org and many youtube videos from experts. My own video page on individual notes gives basic information enough for most note collectors. (Numismatic Notes with Benjamin) Their are different terminologies, yes. But the most important is face or front, and back or reverse.

I think if you identify some main criteria like size, color, vignette subject, portraits, and manufacturer, then more explicit info could rapidly follow...

I am very excited.
Thank you Oklahoman for all your inputs
I found this very nice introduction on the IBNS website you mentioned: https://www.theibns.org/intro-to-banknotes/
Don't be too excited! I'm still assessing, and I can't promise anything.
I hate myself for suggesting this ...check out Colnect and you can probably instantly see how we could do it better here with the numista engine.
But you are considering...and that is something sir.

A well thought out format, a well placed catalog admin, and your banknote enthusiasts already here would get the job done.
Money.org may have information...I will be teaching a 20th and 21st century coin and banknote class there this summer. The site may be of interest and the weeklong seminar may be interesting..
As somebody suggested above, put together a similar format that exists for coins, and as we move along, it can evolve, much like this site has. From the sounds of it, we have many knowledgeable banknote collectors who can provide useful information to help the evolution of the banknotes site.

I have a LOT of banknotes that I have collected over the years; but my banknotes collection is exactly the same as coin collection: I like it I collect it; old currency, demonetized currency, notes from non-existent places, etc. I google a lot of banknotes sites to get info about what I have, and the history behind it.

So, for me, starting with something simple would be great, and then move on up from there.
Quote: "Oklahoman"​I hate myself for suggesting this ...check out Colnect and you can probably instantly see how we could do it better here with the numista engine.
​I tried that site, and uploaded a lot of my collection, but I find the site a little complex from a user experience perspective. I just logged in after 2 years after you mentioned it, and it looks like my collection is still there, but the site looks pretty complex still.
Colnect sucks.

I think there should be a companion website called Notista.

In addition to banknotes,there would have to be sections for community currency notes & postal orders.

I would gladly contribute photos of my own collection if someone decides to get a website built ready for photo uploads.

Aidan.
Realbanknotes uses these stats to describe their notes:

Country and Pick Number: Hong Kong pick 297e
Banknote Series: 2010 Issue
Bank / Issuer: Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd
First Year of Issue: 2016
Denomination and Currency: 20 Dollars
Issue Type: Regular Issue
Dimensions: 144x72 mm
Name of Issuer / Bank: Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd
Name of Issue: 2010 Issue
Description of Paper Money / Banknote: 1.1.2016. Blue on multicolored underprint. Back: history and technology - abacus and binary code.

http://mail.realbanknotes.com/banknote/52965-Hong-Kong-p297e-20-Dollars-from-2016

Something to add could be print run for series, especially star/replacement notes
Quote: "BCNumismatics"
​I think there should be a companion website called Notista.

​I love this name
The swap feature on this site would benefit the swapping of coins and notes together..
I use Colnect for my banknotes simply because Numista does not have this feature. I also feel we should implement Notista here or as a parallel website, run and administered by the same great people, because as most, if not all of us members here feel, this is the best coin site out there. We'll create the same thing for banknotes.

I find Numista superior in every way but one - on Colnect, for an individual coin, I can not only see who has it in their swap list, but I can also see who would like to swap for this coin. To me, this will enhance the ability for members to swap.

The swap feature on Colnect is virtually non-existent. On Numista/Notista, swapping is really easy.

I close by saying since I joined this website five years ago, I have dramatically increased my coin collection and have also increased my knowledge of world coins, but also of the world itself. I am very appreciative of the people who work so hard to share their love and knowledge of the hobby.
I use LignUp Multi Collector as my personal database for banknotes. Here is a screenshot of the template that I use.

? Format  Format  Format ?   ?
Do not argue with ignorant people .. !! They will drag you down to their level, then pulverize you with experience ...
Quote: "FeroxDrakenHK"​Realbanknotes uses these stats to describe their notes:

​Country and Pick Number: Hong Kong pick 297e
​Banknote Series: 2010 Issue
​Bank / Issuer: Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd
​First Year of Issue: 2016
​Denomination and Currency: 20 Dollars
​Issue Type: Regular Issue
​Dimensions: 144x72 mm
​Name of Issuer / Bank: Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd
​Name of Issue: 2010 Issue
​Description of Paper Money / Banknote: 1.1.2016. Blue on multicolored underprint. Back: history and technology - abacus and binary code.

http://mail.realbanknotes.com/banknote/52965-Hong-Kong-p297e-20-Dollars-from-2016

​Something to add could be print run for series, especially star/replacement notes

Nice idea, but other catalogue numbers should also be included as well as Pick catalogue numbers.

In the case of Hong Kong's banknotes, the ones for the Colony of Hong Kong should be listed separately from those dated 1st. of July 1997 & later.

Of course, there needs to be an information field for the printer's name where it is known.

Aidan.
​Nice idea, but other catalogue numbers should also be included as well as Pick catalogue numbers.

​In the case of Hong Kong's banknotes, the ones for the Colony of Hong Kong should be listed separately from those dated 1st. of July 1997 & later.

​Of course, there needs to be an information field for the printer's name where it is known.

​Aidan.
​ Of course, this is just a basic starting point, more information can be added later
This would be nice if we had a banknotes ability on numista.
hope it goes through.
Aaron
I sell my Duplicate or Un-Needed coins on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/str/coinsandmorenj. Numista members get a discounts on all my ebay listings. Send me a PM about coins listings that interest you.
BSNumismatics stated that Colnect sucks.
I completely disagree.
Whilst Colnect has over 110,000 banknotes listed on their website, Numista has 0.

Therefore, you go with the website that exists, as there is little choice. Talk about this happening in Numista seems to have been going on for some time now, but as yet, no forward movement.
I am not a computer expert, but sure the setting up of this project will not be easy, and wish all, the very best of luck if it actually gets going.
But, like over 5,000 Colnect members who collect banknotes, it is the best we have at this time.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
With a simple database design like this one and few dynamic queries basically you can have as many features you want and not just for for banknotes but for different types of collections.

Let me explain a little bit how a design like this one might work. In Sections table you can store different section names, for example coins, banknotes, medals, tokens, etc with their objects and types table names (I will explain below what information will store these tables). In features table you can define different features. Some of them might be common between sections like denomination, country, composition, obverse, reverse and other features might be different like year, edge (for coins) and date, security features (for banknotes). For a good data quality some of these features might be based on a table list like countries (a list with all countries), mints, edges, compositions, etc and other should have an intrinsic value like value, year, obverse, etc. Layout table will simply match the features with a specific section so you don't have for example the edge feature associated with banknotes section. And now to explain what objects and types tables are. For each section there should be created two tables: objects (will store header information for a specific collectible item) and types (will be different types of that object - for example different years of the same coin).

I don't know the actual database design of numista but with such design can easily be implemented different type of sections with multiple and different features for each. And the migration for such design might not be as painful as it might look but of course this depends of the actual design.

The advantages of such design:
  • can be really fast with appropriate indexes
  • can be modified very easy
  • data quality for list based features
  • easy to implement an API
  • data storage optimized
  • ability to implement new features on the fly
  • structured design, easy to maintain and statistically friendly

The main disadvantage of such design are dynamic queries. But once you've done a framework, there you are, no more problems.

There are some others approaches that might be good to consider like XML/JSON column for all features but there are some unwanted downfalls.
https://www.realbanknotes.com/

a very good website for banknotes. Maybe some sort or collaboration as Proteus has a huge amount catalogue of banknotes on his website. it is nice to see that Xavier is at least thinking about the idea after sooooo many years.
I see a similar layout as Numista's. Maybe a different colour schemes, but one should know it's a part of Numista. A banknote page could look like something like this:

Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​I see a similar layout as Numista's. Maybe a different colour schemes, but one should know it's a part of Numista. A banknote page could look like something like this:

Looks pretty nice, but it should be located on a separate companion website though.

Notista would need to have sections for community currency notes, postal orders, & printer's test notes as well as for banknotes.

Of course, other catalogue numbers should be included as well as Pick catalogue numbers.

Aidan.
I disagree about being on a different site then numista. The swap feature would allow swaps between notes and coins.
Quote: "Oklahoman"​I disagree about being on a different site then numista. The swap feature would allow swaps between notes and coins.
​I tvink a sister site would be best, but if you have accounts on both you would be able to mix these in a unified swap section by chosing "coins" and/or "banknotes" in a drop down menu. If you have no coins, this choice is simply not available.
Coin referee for: ASM, AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, PCN, TCA, UZB, WSM, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, ECS, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MRT, MNG, PRK, WSM, ROK, SWE, TJK, PMR, TKM, UZB, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​I see a similar layout as Numista's. Maybe a different colour schemes, but one should know it's a part of Numista. A banknote page could look like something like this:
​​
​​
​​​Looks pretty nice, but it should be located on a separate companion website though.

​Notista would need to have sections for community currency notes, postal orders, & printer's test notes as well as for banknotes.

​I agree, that's what I meant with different colour schemes, since I too reckon it should be a separare sister site but with same login and all and easy to swith between them, just like this site has done it:
There is no need to be a different website, what advantages are to create a new website instead of integration of the current one?
Quote: "Andy289"​There is no need to be a different website, what advantages are to create a new website instead of integration of the current one?
​Mostly in respect for all of those who doesn't collect banknotes. Plus it'll be more clean since it'll need different features in the country list - or there's two different country lists.
It's 1 March not 1 April. What about the respect of those who collect banknotes also? I am not sure how do you imagine that will look the website if/when the banknotes will be added. None said to mix the banknotes with the coins and I don't understand what do you mean with different features in the country list.
Quote: "Andy289"​It's 1 March not 1 April. What about the respect of those who collect banknotes also? I am not sure how do you imagine that will look the website if/when the banknotes will be added. None said to mix the banknotes with the coins and I don't understand what do you mean with different features in the country list.
​Banknotes doesn't have tokens, but trial prints. Should there be two different country lists then? And should there be two different forums as well?
It could just be another currency under the country heading we already have.
Quote: "Oklahoman"​It could just be another currency under the country heading we already have.
​I'd rather see a pure sister site just for banknotes, than a mixed one. I fear it'll be too messy to have them mixed.
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Andy289"​It's 1 March not 1 April. What about the respect of those who collect banknotes also? I am not sure how do you imagine that will look the website if/when the banknotes will be added. None said to mix the banknotes with the coins and I don't understand what do you mean with different features in the country list.
​​Banknotes doesn't have tokens, but trial prints. Should there be two different country lists then? And should there be two different forums as well?
​It's still confusing for me what are you talking about. Coins also don't have tokens, there are coins and tokens. Also there cannot be more than a single list of countries containing all countries that issued coins, banknotes, tokens, etc and for each specific section there will be displayed the countries that contains items (coins, banknotes, etc) from that section. Regarding forums, there is already a sub-forum called banknotes, maybe just a second level with more banknotes specific sub-forums will be enough but there are also other good options.
I would also prefer to see a different site. I think it would just be easier in regards to formatting things like the county list, assigning referees, creating a banknote page versus creating a coin page, mixing currencies, etcetera.

There will have to be some major changes to Numista if we add banknotes to this website. But I imagine those changes would mostly just be additions independant from the coins, which makes me think a different website would make sense to avoid over-crowding this one.

Of course, there is the issue with swaping. If there was a way to connect profiles, I think that would be benefitial. Not sure how that would work though...

EDIT: I do love banknotes, by the by. Would love to see this implemented somehow. 0:)
Quote: "Oklahoman"​It could just be another currency under the country heading we already have.
​​I'd rather see a pure sister site just for banknotes, than a mixed one. I fear it'll be too messy to have them mixed.

I am in agreement there.

Banknotes have different specifications to coins - as does postal orders.

Aidan.
A coin and a banknote will not be up on the screen at the same time. Most coins have different specs from each other. We don't have different websites for gold versus silver versus basemetal.
Quote: "Xavier"​Thank you Oklahoman for all your inputs
​I found this very nice introduction on the IBNS website you mentioned: https://www.theibns.org/intro-to-banknotes/
​Don't be too excited! I'm still assessing, and I can't promise anything.
Xavier
​Not getting toooo excited, but still a little bit after your post 40 days ago :°
Any news on this? Have you had some good time doing a first assesment?
More than a few of us being curious (8

Just call me Bram
Quote: "Xavier"​Thank you Oklahoman for all your inputs
​​I found this very nice introduction on the IBNS website you mentioned: https://www.theibns.org/intro-to-banknotes/
​​Don't be too excited! I'm still assessing, and I can't promise anything.
Xavier
Now, in times of isolation and quarantines all over the world, would be a great time to approve this since people now can spend most of their day to build the site from the ground.
C'mon mate! It's been 7 years of pleading and waiting. Now's the time!
Hello all,

I agree with extending Numista to banknotes. Basically it will mean dividing the catalogue into 3 sections: coins, tokens/exonumia (instead of the current situation with a dummy issuer) and banknotes. Each part of the catalogue will share some common parts and also have their own specific fields. It will also possible to add and mix coins, tokens or banknotes to your collection or in swaps.

The impact is quite big on the overall website so it won't be ready soon. I hope quarantine time will be behind us before banknotes are added to Numista. My goal is to have it before the end of the year, to be balanced with priorities for other developments like inserting data from auction houses, dropdown list for edges and shapes, coins in collection without date, multiple pictures including picture of my own coins and opening Numista to other languages, not counting smaller changes.
Status changed to Accepted (Xavier, 30-Mar-2020, 11:58AM)
:O
Just call me Bram
Let me also reply more specifically about the idea of a sister website. I believe many collectors will want to collect both coins and banknotes (I must admit I do have a couple of banknotes even if I don't really collect them). I believe having everything on the same website would be better, so that you can easily manage both collections and we can benefit from the strong community of Numista. Exchanges of coins for banknotes and vice-versa is a must-have feature for me, and that would make sense only if both are listed on the same website.

Most collectors will probably stick to only one collections though, so I will also try to ensure that you can access coins or banknotes separately and accept swaps for only one type of collection.
For collectors who collect both, I will also try to make sure that the collections are not totally mixed, especially on the collection dashboard (maybe have a global dashboard with a few numbers and separate dashboards or sections of the dashboard for each collection).

According to Wikipedia, "numismatics is the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money and related objects". So I guess the 3 sections can live with the name "Numista".
Please note that stamps are not part of the definition ;) I don't wan't to extend outside of numismatics.
Not sure if feasible, but while reorganising the site to accomodate all aspects of numismatics and get the necessary integration does indeed look like a lot of work (the end of the year sounds great!), maybe creating the database could already start sooner (as corona expands across the globe).

If a basic creation page + dito search page could be created (along with some new referees) so all necessary data + pictures can already be inserted in the system. As I don't expect someone to have a full database of all banknotes of the world, this will still take some time to compile.
I'd say, never let a good amount of free time in quarantine go to waste! (BTW, does not apply to me ... now homeschooling next to doing my regular job working from home)

That would also mean discussions on what data to include (remember something was started, but can't seem to find it now) and how to decide what notes go on the same page (colnect is a mess there and also pick sometimes differentiates on minute details) could start (preferably in a separate thread).
Just call me Bram
Quote: "Xavier"​I agree with extending Numista to banknotes
This is amazing! I've read this sentence many times over and over again just to make sure I've read it right. Xavier, this is awesome! :D

I have a few questions though:
Quote: "Xavier"Basically it will mean dividing the catalogue into 3 sections: coins, tokens/exonumia (instead of the current situation with a dummy issuer) and banknotes. Each part of the catalogue will share some common parts and also have their own specific fields. It will also possible to add and mix coins, tokens or banknotes to your collection or in swaps.
​Does this mean that banknotes will be a seperate part of Country list, like Tokens, or will we be able to chose between "Coins" and "Banknotes" at top (with "Coins" as default?) I vote for the latter.
Quote: "Xavier"​I believe having everything on the same website would be better, so that you can easily manage both collections and we can benefit from the strong community of Numista. Exchanges of coins for banknotes and vice-versa is a must-have feature for me, and that would make sense only if both are listed on the same website.
​As long as it doesn't get messy to manouvre between coins and banknotes, and they all mix in the catalogue because people don't bother to add them in the right category, it'll be the best option for sure.
Quote: "Xavier"​The impact is quite big on the overall website so it won't be ready soon. I hope quarantine time will be behind us before banknotes are added to Numista.
Of course it's a big step and it will take time, no question about it. But as you can see, we are many here who are willing to work hard with this.
I don't think it's wise to sait out the virus. This could take months, and the lifestile many of us are slowly forced into throu isolation and quarantine, might be the new normal. While people are sitting in quarantine they'll get a lot of time on their hands, so I'd say that now is the time to act.

Quote: "Xavier"I will also try to make sure that the collections are not totally mixed, especially on the collection dashboard (maybe have a global dashboard with a few numbers and separate dashboards or sections of the dashboard for each collection).
Here I reckon two separate dashboard for suffice. In the same manner you ould be able to switch between "Coins" and "Banknotes" in the Country list, you should also be able to switch between "Coins" and "Banknotes" or your dashboard. Even here "Coins" should be the default. Or, in your settings you could choose if you'd want "Coins" or "Banknotes" as default.
Quote: "Xavier"​Please note that stamps are not part of the definition ;) I don't wan't to extend outside of numismatics.
​This is wise. Thank you!
Quote: "ngdawa"​​​Does this mean that banknotes will be a seperate part of Country list, like Tokens, or will we be able to chose between "Coins" and "Banknotes" at top (with "Coins" as default?) I vote for the latter.
A possible way of doing it would be 3 links under the "Catalogue" menu: one for coins, one for banknotes and one for tokens/exonumia.
Quote: "Xavier"
Quote: "ngdawa"​​​Does this mean that banknotes will be a seperate part of Country list, like Tokens, or will we be able to chose between "Coins" and "Banknotes" at top (with "Coins" as default?) I vote for the latter.
​A possible way of doing it would be 3 links under the "Catalogue" menu: one for coins, one for banknotes and one for tokens/exonumia.
​I like that one!
Xavier, there also needs to be sections for community & complementary currency notes (such as Austrian & German Notgeld) & for Postal Notes / Postal Orders as well as for banknotes & coins.

Aidan.
I am excited! And prepared to work. Just let me know.
Hello,
I created a separate topic to work together on the definition of the Numista banknote catalogue.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic94435.html
Please, I count on your help ;)
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,
​I created a separate topic to work together on the definition of the Numista banknote catalogue.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic94435.html
​Please, I count on your help ;)
​Awesome! :8D:8D
Any more news regarding a banknote section or better still, a separate website called Notista, Xavier?

Aidan.
He has already said it wont be a separate website..
Quote: "BCNumismatics"​Any more news regarding a banknote section or better still, a separate website called Notista, Xavier?

​Aidan.
​It'll be the same website, but possibly separared dashboards and collections.
It's ongoing, probably testable next week with only the basic features.
Status changed to Started (Xavier, 9-Apr-2020, 08:53PM)
Quote: "Xavier"​It's ongoing, probably testable next week with only the basic features.
:love::love::love:
How exciting!
We probably should establish a date standard... like mmddyy or yymmdd or ddmmyyy...
Quote: "Oklahoman"​We probably should establish a date standard... like mmddyy or yymmdd or ddmmyyy...
​Well, definitely not mmddyy, that seems really illogical. I'd vote fore biggest to smallest - yymmdd. That's also the most common one, I think.
I only mention it because the US and its collectors default mmddyy. We just need to have a standard so that all updates from US folks are not input wrong into the database.
Quote: "Oklahoman"We just need to have a standard so that all updates from US folks are not input wrong into the database.
​True.
Quote: "Oklahoman"​We probably should establish a date standard... like mmddyy or yymmdd or ddmmyyy...
​​Well, definitely not mmddyy, that seems really illogical. I'd vote fore biggest to smallest - yymmdd. That's also the most common one, I think.
​Day, Month, Year is the international standard.

Some banknote dates are dated by the year only - such as for the 2019 notes from The Gambia.

Some banknotes are dated in both the Gregorian calendar & the local calendar - such as for the banknotes of the Maldives, which are dated in both A.H. & A.D. calendars.

Aidan.
Quote: "BCNumismatics"Day, Month, Year is the international standard.
Really? I thought it was only the US who did it backward like that. Never seen it elsewhere.
Keep in mind, there are three versions of this site: French, British, and American. It may be possible to have the day-month-year order switched depending on which version of the site you are viewing.

Not sure how it would be done, but... possibly. :)
​Really? I thought it was only the US who did it backward like that. Never seen it elsewhere.
​We say 25th. of April 2020 here in New Zealand.

In the U.S.A., they would say April 25th., 2020 - which is Month, Day, Year.

Aidan.
On anything for work I'll do mmddyyyy, but on my personal stuffs I'll use ddmmyyyy. Usually I'll but the month abreviation instead of the numeric though, such as 09 Apr 2020.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot."
I would prefer to use the date formatted as 1 January 1997, for example in the banknote listings themselves.

Aidan.
​​Really? I thought it was only the US who did it backward like that. Never seen it elsewhere.
​​We say 25th. of April 2020 here in New Zealand.

​In the U.S.A., they would say April 25th., 2020 - which is Month, Day, Year.

​Aidan.
​Ah, yes! Sorry Aidan, you are right. I was just very tired and confused after I'd been working a 13 hour shift yesterday. So yes, DDMMYY or YYMMDD is good!

Here in Sweden we actually write both of the above. So today's date, 10th of April 2020, we write:
  • 10/4 2020 (or 10/4 '20)
or
  • 200410 = (20)20-04-10
Status changed to Implemented (Xavier, 13-Apr-2020, 03:16PM)
Hello,

The banknote catalogue has just been released. :)
You may access it via the entries "Browse banknotes" and "Search banknotes" in the menu "Catalogue", or you can see an example here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note201000.html

This is only a basic implementation for the moment: banknotes are still described in a very similar way to coins. But most of the bases to support banknotes all over Numista are implemented and you can already start building the banknotes catalogue.

Oklahoman and Sulfur will approve requests for new banknotes as banknotes master referees.

The current differences in comparison to the coins catalogue are the following:
  • No weight, no thickness, no orientation, no mint, no edge
  • Types of banknotes are different from the types of coins: standard banknotes, commemorative banknotes, local banknotes, trial banknotes and fantasy banknotes.
  • Composition is much simpler than for coins, with only 4 possible values at the moment: paper, polymer, hybrid substrate and silk.
  • Diameter is changed into a size with length and width.

More fields specific to banknotes will be added in the coming weeks or months: watermark, signatures, security features, etc. In the meantime, you may add these details as comments.

Please note that some parts of website are not fully ready for banknotes yet, especially the collection dashboard (you can add banknotes to your collection, but the stats of your collection may be wrong), wishes and swaps.
Wow, this is amazing! :8D

To be honest I feel a little cheated on the banknotes master referee position, considering I've been fighting for this since 2013, but I guess I might be referee for a few countries at least.
I just saw it, was completely surprised. It looks very nice! Good job! :O
Is it yet not possible to add banknotes? When I try I get the same layout as for coins. When I "modify" the French banknotes, there are different features than when adding one from scratch. How so?
Congrats!!!! great addition!!

With new things, comes new issues.

I just tried to add my first Uruguayan banknote, from "add it yourself" from search banknote, but seems form is the same as for coins, it shows diameter, thickness, and on material not showing polymer, just the regular materials for coins.

Is there a different way to get add banknote form?.

Thank you all for the great effort!!!.
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those who doesn't.

Referee coins & banknotes: Uruguay, Cuba, Bolivia, Puerto Rico, coins: Brazil, Curaçao, Cayman Islands, Netherlands West Indies, Saint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
Yeah, thats what I'm saying. And also, I don't think it ended up in the banknote catalogue...
I have uploaded photos of some banknotes from The Bahamas, Cayman Islands, & Fiji up in the coin section.

Please transfer them to the banknote section.

Aidan.

​The banknote catalogue has just been released. :)
​You may access it via the entries "Browse banknotes" and "Search banknotes" in the menu "Catalogue", or you can see an example here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note201000.html

​This is only a basic implementation for the moment: banknotes are still described in a very similar way to coins. But most of the bases to support banknotes all over Numista are implemented and you can already start building the banknotes catalogue.

​Oklahoman and Sulfur will approve requests for new banknotes as banknotes master referees.

​The current differences in comparison to the coins catalogue are the following:

• Types of banknotes are different from the types of coins: standard banknotes, commemorative banknotes, local banknotes, trial banknotes and fantasy banknotes.

• Composition is much simpler than for coins, with only 4 possible values at the moment: paper, polymer, hybrid substrate and silk.

​More fields specific to banknotes will be added in the coming weeks or months: watermark, signatures, security features, etc. In the meantime, you may add these details as comments.

​Please note that some parts of website are not fully ready for banknotes yet, especially the collection dashboard (you can add banknotes to your collection, but the stats of your collection may be wrong), wishes and swaps.
​dawn of a new era! Very excited. This is awesome!
there'll be some growing pains, but this is just great!

👏👏👏
Quote: "ngdawa"​Is it yet not possible to add banknotes? When I try I get the same layout as for coins. When I "modify" the French banknotes, there are different features than when adding one from scratch. How so?
​Sorry for that. It's fixed.

​The banknote catalogue has just been released. :)
​You may access it via the entries "Browse banknotes" and "Search banknotes" in the menu "Catalogue", or you can see an example here: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note201000.html

​This is only a basic implementation for the moment: banknotes are still described in a very similar way to coins. But most of the bases to support banknotes all over Numista are implemented and you can already start building the banknotes catalogue.

​Oklahoman and Sulfur will approve requests for new banknotes as banknotes master referees.

​The current differences in comparison to the coins catalogue are the following:

​More fields specific to banknotes will be added in the coming weeks or months: watermark, signatures, security features, etc. In the meantime, you may add these details as comments.

​Please note that some parts of website are not fully ready for banknotes yet, especially the collection dashboard (you can add banknotes to your collection, but the stats of your collection may be wrong), wishes and swaps.
Wonderful! The dreams of the Numista forefathers have finally come true :P (also the Saint-Exupery banknote is one of my favourite)
All coins are equal, but some coins are more equal than others.
Quote: "BCNumismatics"​I have uploaded photos of some banknotes from The Bahamas, Cayman Islands, & Fiji up in the coin section.

​Please transfer them to the banknote section.

​Aidan.
​It's done, but please refrain from adding into the coin section in the future.
Quote: "ngdawa"​Is it yet not possible to add banknotes? When I try I get the same layout as for coins. When I "modify" the French banknotes, there are different features than when adding one from scratch. How so?
​​Sorry for that. It's fixed.
​ Cheers!
I added a banknote, but I have no idea if it ended up in the right place though.
Quote: "BCNumismatics"​I have uploaded photos of some banknotes from The Bahamas, Cayman Islands, & Fiji up in the coin section.
​​
​​Please transfer them to the banknote section.
​​
​​Aidan.
​​It's done, but please refrain from adding into the coin section in the future.

I was trying to add them into the banknote section, not the coin section, Xavier.

Aidan.
Here take this shortcut LINK
Quote: "ngdawa"​Cheers!
​I added a banknote, but I have no idea if it ended up in the right place though.
​You added it as a banknote :( I fixed it.
The title for the submission form should be "Add a banknote to the catalogue".
Quote: "ngdawa"​Cheers!
​​I added a banknote, but I have no idea if it ended up in the right place though.
​​You added it as a banknote :( I fixed it.
​The title for the submission form should be "Add a banknote to the catalogue".
I readied it now, hope it works better.
I confirm I can now see banknote requests from BCNumismatics, Chilian and ngdawa :)
I'll let the referees review them ;)
Xavier, I see you have got the same listing of countries for banknotes as well as for coins.

This will have to be arranged differently - especially in strict alphabetical order.

Aidan.
Extremely happy with the new banknote section! A dream coming true! Thanks Xavier! I will be available for Brazil banknote section and everything inside my possibilities to help to improve it! Congrats!
Sub Quo Signo Nata Stabit

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 10:16PM.