California Fractional Gold : round 25 cents BG-876

4 posts • viewed 204 times
Hi, I wanted to show you the California fractional gold coin I found. I believe it is a genuine one, as it is one on the few very small coins that my dealer bought which is standing out as containing gold (it was checked with a machine, I don't know how that works), and I found the exact reference, which is BG-876. The same die crack, the same hollow marks, and the same weak letters, especially the R. Also the Indian head is a little frosted, I read that this occured often. I wrote to Ronald J. Gillio to know what he thought of it, still got no answer. It measures 10 mm and weighs about 0,20 to 0,30 g. If it's a genuine one than I am really happy, even though the period two coins are actually jewelers' souvenirs, they are still from an historic era.

What do you think ? I can't buy the book covering this topic as it costs... over 300 $. Crazy !

Good night !
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !
Intresting coin! Could you put a little sharper pictures, please?
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
I can't tell if it's real based on those pictures; thus, I suggest you compare it to this one:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1874-25c-bg-876/10737
Quote: "Steve27"​I can't tell if it's real based on those pictures; thus, I suggest you compare it to this one:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1874-25c-bg-876/10737

​Yes, that is how I found which variety mine was. I'll try to make better scans, but since the coin is very light, it does not seem to lay fully flat on the scanner, even with removing the staples on the cardboard 2 X 2 flip because it adds thickness to the whole thing, it kinds of "floats" above the surface. The more I search for information, the more it seems genuine. Too bad the reference book is costing an arm and a leg, it's definitely a must ! Must be a scarce book, then.
Si tu cognes ta tête contre une cruche et que ça sonne creux, ce n'est pas forcément la cruche... lollll mon proverbe préféré !

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:38.