What was it like before the euro?

18 posts • viewed 371 times

» Quick access to the last post

To people who lived in a country before they switched to the euro, what was it like when the currency transitioned?
Half as expensive
It is said that the value of the euro was chosen to be just twice the value of the deustsche mark. For the French, the euro was equal to 6.56 Francs. The main consequence in France was an immediate inflation, prices being readjusted to 5 cents or 10 cents higher in small shops.
Referee of south atlantic islands
Quote: "Idolenz"​Half as expensive
​Funny, though I see where you are coming from.
for greece i think it was 1 euro to 320 drachmas(i cant remember)and the prices rounded higher the next day...for example one condom that cost 300 drachmas the next day was 1 euro...now the condom costs higher so the bigest economies of e.u.(like germany) dont use condoms to Φuck us and the sex its more inexpensive..i m writing this for the capitals not for the people of the e.u.(media are doing their job perfect)
We never introduced the Euro, because our politicians are (insert any foul word of your choice here) and are afraid to lose the grip on people here.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Jarcek"​We never introduced the Euro, because our politicians are (insert any foul word of your choice here) and are afraid to lose the grip on people here.
​What? We had a referendum in 2003 and 55.9% vote No to introduce the euro as currency. Are you saying that you never had a referendum?
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Before the euro really EVERYTHING was better!!!
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Jarcek"​We never introduced the Euro, because our politicians are (insert any foul word of your choice here) and are afraid to lose the grip on people here.
​​What? We had a referendum in 2003 and 55.9% vote No to introduce the euro as currency. Are you saying that you never had a referendum?
​No, not every european country is that free as yours.
Catalogue administrator
here in greece there was not referendum..only at parliament they vote..you understand why...
Quote: "Jarcek"
Quote: "ngdawa"
​​​What? We had a referendum in 2003 and 55.9% vote No to introduce the euro as currency. Are you saying that you never had a referendum?
​​No, not every european country is that free as yours.
​I thought all countries had referendums for stuff like these since it's, in this case, a pretty big deal to change the national currency.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
I was only 11 when here is Spain Euros replaced Pesetas. Despite of my young age, my family had several shops and I was always arround.

The official exchange rate was/is 166 Pesetas = 1 Euro but I remember cleary that making the change of pesetas to euro, was a mess everywhere (in shpps supermarkets, etc); in the end, what cost 100 Pesetas was changed to 1 euro (because it was an easy change) and so on (you can see the difference between this rate and the official rate), so, sudenly life was a lot more expensive.

An example from my childhood; a bag of potato chips were around 30 pts (even less) but with the euro... sudenly 30 cents... no equivalence at all, much more expensive.

With 500 pts you thought you were able to buy the whole gummy shop... now a days with that you will only keep all your teeht :D
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
Euro sounds like European Union control.

Germany did take over Europe I guess, not with fear but control.

Travelling through Europe, made it much easier, as it would have been hard on a package tour to change money everywhere. Only Switzerland caused problems when we went.

I don't think the Euro made anywhere cheaper or more expensive as I recall.

Northern France, Netherlands, Germany = Fairly expensive
Austria, Belgium Southern France = Decent prices
Spain and Italy = Cheap
Greece = Dirt Cheap
UK and Switzerland = Unbelieveably expensive
Liechtenstein = Really f#$@ng expensive.
I love coins
In Hungary we still dont have euro (and I worked in the UK for 4 years, no euro either, but now I’m working in Austria, and finally get paid in euro)
Anyway I like the forint and it’s history, so for me it is ok :)
There is incredible resistance to changement!
Take the example of France: on 1960 there was a revaluation of 100: 1 of the Franc and on 2002, at the time of the changeover to the euro, more than forty years later! negotiations about sales of houses were still discussed in 'old' francs!
A house was worth 150 million francs (1.5 million 'new' francs = € 220,000) :D
Referee of south atlantic islands
Kind of like how people still valued and sold things in Guineas, right up to 1967 here and 1971 in the UK. The guinea was an old (1662 - 1815) gold coin worth 21 shillings, yet as late as 1965 you would see prices - "New TV set only 139 Guineas" etc. When in reality it was £145/19/-.
I love coins
Some small examples in Greece with Drachmas in 2000 and Euros in 2020. You should know that 1 Euro was 340 Drachmas.
  • bread 100 Drachmas / 1 Euro
  • small bottle of water 50 Drachmas / 0,5 Euro
  • coffee siting in the cafe 500-600 Drachmas / 2,5 - 3,5 Euros
  • ticket from Kos to Pireaus with the ship 3200 Drachmas / 50 Euros

I understand that after 20 years the prices will go up but here we talk for 3-4 times or more......!!!!!!!
ZaxariasP
Quote: "Moneytane"​Kind of like how people still valued and sold things in Guineas, right up to 1967 here and 1971 in the UK. The guinea was an old (1662 - 1815) gold coin worth 21 shillings, yet as late as 1965 you would see prices - "New TV set only 139 Guineas" etc. When in reality it was £145/19/-.

​Race horses are still valued in Guineas!

Originally the Guinea included sales tax, so "New TV set only 139 Guineas", meant £139 for the retailer and 139 shillings (£6/19/- or £6.95 in new money) tax for the government (5%). At auctions the extra shilling was the auctioneers premium/commission.

In the UK, sales tax was replaced with Value Added Tax, which was higher than 5% and hidden in the price. VAT is now 20% on most things .

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 16:52.