Trading during COVID19 crisis

62 posts • viewed 1960 times

» Quick access to the last post

I thought this would be a good thread for people to update their personal and national situations.

In Thailand the situation is getting worse by the day. It is my understanding that incoming international mail is being disinfected and quarantined. I have 4 packages that are who knows where and may be there for the foreseeable future.

I personally am suspending any trading and not giving any ratings for the "lost" packages until things become normal.

Feel free to update your situation here and stay safe.
I stopped trading a week or two ago, although I am not getting many requests anyways. I made my swap list invisible. Who knows who is touching the mail. Better be safe than sorry with international mail, and local too for that matter. I plan on resuming swapping when things get back to normal.
I’m still swapping I still get mail and have to deal with it so I might as well get something that makes me happy when I check it.

Matt
||| LATVIA |||
All air connection from today is closed, outside EU borders closed and inside ones- with mega checkings on them.
So, I am still doing and agreeing on swaps, but sending I suggest to postpone until better times, not to lose coins in postal warehouses somewhere.
Every single coin on the world should meet its collector!
This "working from home" policy is giving me more time to devote to the hobby. So far mail appears to still be flowing to/from Canada. In the last 2 weeks letters to/from Israel and Ireland made it through. I have 4 confirmed with Romania, France, and USA (x2). While I expect the first two to take longer than usual, mail btw USA and Canada should still flow more or less normally, so I may concentrate my focus on that market at this time. Thanks to Xavier for the new filter in "Start a Swap" to identify members from a particular country!
Coin enthusiast, always learning
We can anyway conclude some swaps to be shipped when the situation improves. To be optimistic !
The virus can only live on surfaces for 2-3 days, so unless the postal system is super efficient you're pretty safe to cough and sneeze all over your coins before sending them to someone else ;)
What? Me Worry
Quote: "neilithicman"​The virus can only live on surfaces for 2-3 days, so unless the postal system is super efficient you're pretty safe to cough and sneeze all over your coins before sending them to someone else ;)
​I think it will be long dead by the time I get all your packages in the mailB)

Matt
Quote: "Myeackle"
Quote: "neilithicman"​The virus can only live on surfaces for 2-3 days, so unless the postal system is super efficient you're pretty safe to cough and sneeze all over your coins before sending them to someone else ;)
​​I think it will be long dead by the time I get all your packages in the mailB)

​Matt
​That's good, because I was regularly wiping my nose and coughing into my hands when I packaged them up... I've got to send you the special New Zealand strain of Covid19 to keep you on your toes ;):D
What? Me Worry
@neilithicman Panic installed successfully for possible swap partners. :O
If I catch it I will be telling everyone to send you stool samples for testing :P

Matt
Anyone know where the mail is piling up with all the cancelled international flights?
Quote: "blue-m"​Anyone know where the mail is piling up with all the cancelled international flights?
​Cargo is still flying on schedule!
I'm getting (and sending) my mail as usual. They just don't let more than 10 ppl at once into the post office (so the crowd is in front of it X-D). No brains - no worries!
The only concession I plan on making is less trips to the PO. Instead of running out and mailing each parcel the same day the swap is confirmed I'll wait until any others in the pipeline are completed. If that can be combined with a beer run, even better.

It shouldn't be a problem as the folks I tend towards dealing with are not the hysterical or overly suspicious types.
Non illegitimis carborundum est.  Excellent advice for all coins.
Make Numismatics Great Again!  
Information to think about.
Russian post has suspended communication with 15 countries. According to the TASS news Agency, with reference to the company's press service, this decision was made due to the fact that several States have suspended the processing of international mail, and therefore it is not possible to send international mail there.
The report States that the restrictions apply to Mongolia, Kuwait, Libya, Peru, Moldova, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, the Cayman Islands, French Polynesia, Lebanon, the Philippines, Maldives, Easter Island, Myanmar and Ecuador.
"All these States temporarily do not process either incoming or outgoing international mail, as a result of measures to combat the spread of coronavirus," the company said, promising to resume sending mail after the restriction is lifted.
Best regards
Good info Igor Grin. I hope that helps fellow collectors for sure.
Additional information.
The Russian Post also noted that so far no cases of coronavirus infection have been recorded in the world through the items being sent. In early February, the world health organization reported that coronaviruses do not live long on objects such as letters or parcels. Who researchers specifically noted that there is no risk of infection when sending mail messages.
I wish you all good health and a good day.
Quote: "Igor Grin"​Additional information.
​The Russian Post also noted that so far no cases of coronavirus infection have been recorded in the world through the items being sent. In early February, the world health organization reported that coronaviruses do not live long on objects such as letters or parcels. Who researchers specifically noted that there is no risk of infection when sending mail messages.
​ I wish you all good health and a good day.
​While this is true, don't forget that the envelope was handled by LOCAL post office workers days/hours/minutes before it reached you! So - don't place it anywhere in the house: open it immediately, take the content out without touching, throw the envelope into the bin and wash your hands. Only then you may safely check the content of the letter!
SDG
I think we can discuss for swapping coins before the final confirmation. Covid is not transmitted via email or Internet, but the scare. I hope it can be end in this June.
Update for Thailand

We are on total lockdown now. As most businesses are now closed I am sure that much of the mail will be at a standstill.

I will get to update my trade list and make sure it is totally accurate. Those that collect by date will get to see what I have accumulated through the covid nightmare.
Portugal
The mail here are still delivered and i desinfect the mail before open.
Still swapping if any request enters.
Stay safe
Bulgaria

TEMPORARILY SUSPENSION OF THE ACCEPTANCE OF OUTBOUND INTERNATIONAL REGISTERED LETTER-POST ITEMS, PARCELS AND EMS CONSIGNMENTS TO ALL COUNTRIES IN CONNECTION TO THE SPREADING OF CORONAVIRUS

“Bulgarian Posts” Plc informs its customers that, as of March 19, 2020, it is temporarily suspended the acceptance of outbound international registered letter-post items, parcels and EMS consignments to all countries. Only outbound non-registered items are accepted, except to the following countries: United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Sri Lanka, Latvia, Kuwait, Taiwan, India, South Korea, Hong Kong, Morocco, Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia, Djibouti, Libya, Tunisia, Peru, Lebanon, French Polynesia, Cayman Islands, Philippines, Maldives, Maldives Myanmar, Mongolia, Macedonia, Denmark, Suriname, Ecuador, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Ghana, Montenegro, Mauritania, Panama, Sri Lanka, New Caledonia, Honduras.

The measure is imposed due to canceled flights by airlines, closure of the land borders with neighboring countries, as well as long delays in transport and delivery of consignments in a large number of countries in connection to the measures taken to curb worldwide coronavirus spreading. These circumstances make it impossible to meet the service parameters and quality standards.

“Bulgarian Posts” Plc dynamically monitors the situation and looks for opportunities to resume the suspended international services.
Update to US-Europe postal service.

I mailed an envelope on March 16 from the USA to UK, it got there safely on March 25.

So, everything works fine so far.
In Vietnam, postal service is still working though it is slower than usual.
Quote: "iiruig"​Update to US-Europe postal service.

​I mailed an envelope on March 16 from the USA to UK, it got there safely on March 25.

​So, everything works fine so far.
​Now it is clear why the United States came out on top in the number of people infected with a new coronavirus infection, overtaking Italy and China, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
Quote: "Igor Grin"
​​
​​I mailed an envelope on March 16 from the USA to UK, it got there safely on March 25.
​​
​​So, everything works fine so far.
​​Now it is clear why the United States came out on top in the number of people infected with a new coronavirus infection, overtaking Italy and China, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
​I hope Americans are tired of winning now, SICK and tired of winning.

It's good that the mail is going through but non essential mail should really stop. Do the smart thing. In this time period it would really be good to hold off on trades until the world recovers. The person's life you save could be your own. Stay in your homes and be safe!! :)

​I mailed an envelope on March 16 from the USA to UK, it got there safely on March 25.

​So, everything works fine so far.
​Works fine I wish - I have letter to Monaco that I mailed March 9 that has yet to arrive, and I have a letter incoming from Israel that left Israel on March 9 that also has yet to arrive. I am hoping both parcels arrive soon, but that is a small concern. I am more worried about stopping the spread of this disease.
The postal services in the Netherlands are still working as good as they can.
Letters from and to adresses within the Netherlands are no problem, but the international shipping of parcels can take longer than usual before they achieve their destination.
Cents are money too!
Update on USA - Israel postal service:

Eppur si muove!
Quote: "blue-m"
Quote: "Igor Grin"

​​​
​​​I mailed an envelope on March 16 from the USA to UK, it got there safely on March 25.
​​​
​​​So, everything works fine so far.
​​​Now it is clear why the United States came out on top in the number of people infected with a new coronavirus infection, overtaking Italy and China, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
​​I hope Americans are tired of winning now, SICK and tired of winning.

​It's good that the mail is going through but non essential mail should really stop. Do the smart thing. In this time period it would really be good to hold off on trades until the world recovers. The person's life you save could be your own. Stay in your homes and be safe!! :)

Yes, I am so tired of our inept and complacent leadership. I work in healthcare and it is very scary. I worry for myself, my family, and the people I serve.
It is getting worse.

German postal service DHL announces wide delays and is even shutting down transport to many countries for an unlimited time even to the USA wich is obsiously hit hard by corona at the moment.

https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/kampagnenseiten/coronavirus.html#international

Lets hope for better times.
I've bought something from eBay in late February and the package still hasn't arrived. It's coming from the Netherlands. The tracking info just stopped updating once it left the Netherlands.

Our postal system was flooded with shipments of masks in early March, and since I still haven't received my package, I suspect it still is.

Well, I hope it hasn't arrived because it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting out a backlog, and not because it was lost.

Only time will tell.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
Quote: "HongKongCoinCollector"​I've bought something from eBay in late February and the package still hasn't arrived. It's coming from the Netherlands. The tracking info just stopped updating once it left the Netherlands.

​Our postal system was flooded with shipments of masks in early March, and since I still haven't received my package, I suspect it still is.

​Well, I hope it hasn't arrived because it's sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting out a backlog, and not because it was lost.

​Only time will tell.
​We need a lot of trust and patience right now: yesterday, April 7th, I've received a small package sent from China on February 20th! So, things ARE moving, although quite slow.
I have stopped swapping for now for ethical reasons: I don't think that it is good that someone goes to the post office and other people moves envelopes for very frivolous reasons
CirculableCoins
How long can the virus survive on surfaces?

Dr Marcus: The New England Journal of Medicine just published a study that tested how long the virus can remain stable on different kinds of surfaces within a controlled laboratory setting. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

(Dr Julia Marcus, infectious disease epidemiologist and professor in the Department of Population Medicine at Harvard Medical School)
Quote: "bbybugs"​How long can the virus survive on surfaces?

​Dr Marcus: The New England Journal of Medicine just published a study that tested how long the virus can remain stable on different kinds of surfaces within a controlled laboratory setting. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

​(Dr Julia Marcus, infectious disease epidemiologist and professor in the Department of Population Medicine at Harvard Medical School)
​Considering that it now takes months to deliver my package, I guess I'm safe.
Edit: safe-ish, if that's not already implied.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
You are not completely safe, because the virus carrier may be a postal service employee of your city.
I am in the UK and would prefer during this virus to only swap with UK residents, as I can get national stamps from the supermarket :)

Come swap with me UK people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its unbelievable still people are not serious !!!
People should resist themselves for this temptation of swapping for this difficult period.
At present there is focus on providing basic facilities such as food and medicine to everyone. Don't get fooled about the research on how long this virus stay on surface, what if the post man taking the letter or passing get the virus,you yourself can get infected risking you family. By NOT staying home and doing unessintial things you are just risking your and entire society life at risk .
This is the time you can do something for your Nation/Society by staying at home and doing nothing unessintial. :)
We all know the statement by UK premier- I keep shaking hands and keep washing them as by washing hands all virus get killed ,rest is history !
coin collector.....
Well, the government has finally decided to close all schools here just 2 days ago. It's kind of scary since by then we already had over 1,000 cases.
I am not confident to swap anytime soon since 6 employees from the mail sorting centre have been infected. All international mail will have to go through the same sorting centre and because of this, I heard that they have started disinfecting and checking the contents of everything that comes through the mail. So no international swaps. Until everything settles down.
The story is summed up in the number of ratings for the past 30 days on Numista's home page. 1173 ratings the past 30 days versus about twice that on average before the pandemic. I'm still willing to swap and actively pursue them but I am getting very few responses. Silly me, I thought because so many are home these days that this would be a great time to swap for many of us.
In Italy going to the post office to send coins is not allowed, you can move only for getting food, working or medical issues
CirculableCoins
Quote: "GiannaReggio"​I have stopped swapping for now for ethical reasons: I don't think that it is good that someone goes to the post office and other people moves envelopes for very frivolous reasons
​I also share your view.
If we want to swap in the next autumn, we must stay at home in this spring (and it may also need in summer).
Now #stayathome
The biggest problem I have with Post office. To post coins have to find opened first.

Look at Ebay. For last month didn't won any auction. And I am not bidding silver or gold. Just cheap, circulated coins.
Quote: "harryg"Silly me, I thought because so many are home these days that this would be a great time to swap for many of us.
​Exactly my thoughts!
Even if some of us are temporarily "banned" from going to the post office, we can still strike a deal or two, put everything nicely in the envelope and let it wait on the shelf until posts reopen.
In the last 5 days I've received 7 parcels from all around the Globe; took them from 21 (UK) to 38 (France) days to arrive. But - arrived they did!
Stay safe!
Quote: "bbybugs"within a controlled laboratory setting.
​Key words right there.
Canada Post has stopped mail to many (most) countries.
https://www.canadapost.ca/assets/pdf/aboutus/servicealerts/destinations-to-which-service-is-suspended.pdf
US, Mexico and most of EU are ok; and so are China, Japan and Korea. Only a handful of countries outside of those.

this is ratings trends from another coin swap website. where can I see numista's
Quote: "pnightingale"
​I've never been to a flea market in Singapore before. The last flea market here closed a few years ago :(
Every podunk town in The South has a fleamarket and they're just full of Larrys and Joe Dirt types. They may close our schools and hospitals but they'd better not touch our guns and fleamarkets. 'murica.

I love them. I love the state fair junk food, the beer tents, the mullets and the daisy dukes. It's loud, dusty, sweaty but where else can you find a guy who grew up shoeless in the Blue Ridge on the next stall to a retired Cambridge professor.

They're great places for high quality coins too. We're basically looking for coins, notes, stamps plus antique tools and retro kitchenware from the 40s and 50s. If I stop to browse some old coins in a mason jar my wife goes on ahead and scouts out our path. We could probably do the entire thing in two hours but inevitably we run into old friends or stop and make new ones.

This is what I'm missing most.
I quit swapping in February. Recently won three auctions after staying away from auctions for three months now. Been really long three months, I tell you! :P
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, US-HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Mail exchange during COVID-19 in Russia
Due to measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, most countries have significantly reduced international air traffic or stopped it completely. More than 30 countries have announced that they have stopped processing international mail or restricted the working hours of postal facilities (see the list of countries below).
In this regard, there may be delays in the delivery of international mail.
At the moment, the Russian Post has organized regular mail service with the countries of Europe, the Baltic States and the customs Union. Mail is sent by road via Germany, the Netherlands, Latvia and Ukraine.
Also due to international restrictions, delivery with delays is carried out to the United States, China, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, great Britain, Hungary, Greece, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Finland, France, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden, Israel, Armenia, Canada, Georgia.
In the near future, shipments are planned to Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, South Korea, and Azerbaijan.
List of countries that have stopped processing postal items:
Bolivia, Botswana, Honduras, India, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Zimbabwe. Maldives, Mauritania, Myanmar, new Caledonia, Easter Island (Chile), Peru, Samoa, Tunisia, Fiji, Philippines, French Polynesia, Chad, Ecuador, South Africa, Rwanda, Malawi, Togo, Cuba, Iraq.
Regular mail delivery in Canada has slowed to a crawl. Regular (land) postal packages from the US will be held at the border (so not likely to pass till 05/21st at earliest). Registered mail in Canada is fast but I have not received any packages from overseas for the past 5 weeks. Good time to hold or just exchange domestically.
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
Quote: "Serial_Number_8"​Regular mail delivery in Canada has slowed to a crawl. Regular (land) postal packages from the US will be held at the border (so not likely to pass till 05/21st at earliest). Registered mail in Canada is fast but I have not received any packages from overseas for the past 5 weeks. Good time to hold or just exchange domestically.
​Within Canada is taking a bit longer (~2 weeks), and I had similar experience with the US.
Today I got one from Italy. It took almost a month but made it safely.
I bought some bulk lots in March (just as the lockdown was beginning) and they arrived on time. I bought another one from Australia about a month ago which still hasn’t arrived. I got an email from the seller saying they’ve been having difficulty shipping and I should expect it around the beginning of June.

I really need to learn my lesson, don’t buy anything from Australia. It always takes at least two months to ship for some reason or another.
Quote: "GoldenGarfield"​I bought some bulk lots in March (just as the lockdown was beginning) and they arrived on time. I bought another one from Australia about a month ago which still hasn’t arrived. I got an email from the seller saying they’ve been having difficulty shipping and I should expect it around the beginning of June.

​I really need to learn my lesson, don’t buy anything from Australia. It always takes at least two months to ship for some reason or another.
​I recently picked up the swaps. From US to Italy a letter taken only twelve days. Sent by ordinary post on 14th of May and arrived today 26th of May. I hope also my letter sent by Int'l Priority Post from Italy on 14yh of May can arrive in these days to my swap partner in US.
I had more than 10 swaps with Aussi partners. Except for a couple of specific cases, the small shipments of coins taken from two to three weeks. For letters with 50+ coins, as often happens, the shipments slow down due to customs related operations, both incoming and outgoing.
"From US to Italy a letter taken only twelve days. Sent by ordinary post on 14th of May and arrived today 26th of May. I hope also my letter sent by Int'l Priority Post from Italy on 14yh of May can arrive in these days to my swap partner in US."

As of 05/26/2020
- I sent a registered/tracked parcel to Italy on Tue April 28th and my swap partner received his last week (May 18th). He claims he sent mine the same day (but when I checked the tracking # he provided, ItalianPost stated it left last week). Not sure now what's the case but still waiting. Another item from Singapore sent in March & 3 from US 2-3 weeks ago (many eBay/postal indicator/warnings suggested ETA June)....so...
Quote: "Igor Grin"​Mail exchange during COVID-19 in Russia
​Due to measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, most countries have significantly reduced international air traffic or stopped it completely. More than 30 countries have announced that they have stopped processing international mail or restricted the working hours of postal facilities (see the list of countries below).
​In this regard, there may be delays in the delivery of international mail.
​At the moment, the Russian Post has organized regular mail service with the countries of Europe, the Baltic States and the customs Union. Mail is sent by road via Germany, the Netherlands, Latvia and Ukraine.
​Also due to international restrictions, delivery with delays is carried out to the United States, China, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, great Britain, Hungary, Greece, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Finland, France, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden, Israel, Armenia, Canada, Georgia.
​In the near future, shipments are planned to Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, South Korea, and Azerbaijan.
​List of countries that have stopped processing postal items:
​Bolivia, Botswana, Honduras, India, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Zimbabwe. Maldives, Mauritania, Myanmar, new Caledonia, Easter Island (Chile), Peru, Samoa, Tunisia, Fiji, Philippines, French Polynesia, Chad, Ecuador, South Africa, Rwanda, Malawi, Togo, Cuba, Iraq.
​Not sure where Thailand falls on this list. I still have not received 4 pieces (Canada,usa and Netherlands) that were mailed in March. Bangkok is eyeing to open to international flights in July. Maybe in July I can start trading again.
"Not sure where Thailand falls on this list. I still have not received 4 pieces (Canada,usa and Netherlands) that were mailed in March. Bangkok is eyeing to open to international flights in July. Maybe in July I can start trading again."

I think July sounds about the right time.

I just purchased 3 notes from an amazing eBay seller who's never let me down yet (b/c uses FedEx & splits the costs) but I will not buy/nor exchange anything until the postal systems get back up & running in proper order (still waiting or my other orders...)
i sent/received multiple parcels during this period. it is slower than usual. so far the only problem is, i have sent a parcel which arrived in Lithuania about 3 months ago. but no further processing information ever since
Topic locked (Numista Robot, 4-Sep-2020, 04:24)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:57.