Menu

Hong Kong banknotes ruling authority revamp

9 posts • viewed 110 times

This message aims at: suggesting an idea to improve Numista

Upvotes: 2
Downvotes: 0
Hello,
Some of us may know that in Hong Kong, the majority of banknotes aren't issued by the government, but rather by private banks. As a result, the "ruling authority" for Hong Kong banknotes is kinda useless.

Instead, I propose that instead of putting in the queen/king at the time of issuing, we should consider to add the banks that actually issued the banknote.

Here's a list of banknote issuing authorities in Hong Kong, as per K.N. Boon's Hong Kong & Macau 1846-2017 Banknotes and Coins 2nd Ed.

Asiatic Banking Corporation
The Oriental Bank Corporation
Agra & United Service Bank Limited
The Bank of Hindustan, China & Japan
The Commercial Bank Corporation of India & The East*
The National Bank of China Limited
Japanese Occupation Issue**
The Chartered Mercantile Bank of India, London & China/Mercantile Bank of India, Limited ***
Government of Hong Kong
Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
The Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China/The Chartered Bank/Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited ***
The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation/The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Company Limited***

*Issued very little banknotes, none have been discovered.
** May be grouped under Japan, or its own issuer.
*** Renamed.

Thanks for your time,
HongKongCoinCollector

EDIT: The first 6 only issued very few banknotes, and those banknotes are extremely rare, so it might be more useful to group them under "miscellaneous".
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of our times
Hello,
I plan to add a new field for the issuing bank. This would be useful for Hong Kong as well as for other countries.
It means banknote will have:
  • an issuing authority (e.g. Hong Kong)
  • a ruling authority (e.g. Queen Elizabeth II)
  • an issuing bank (e.g. The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation)
I hope it can fit the need without being overly complex.
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,
​I plan to add a new field for the issuing bank. This would be useful for Hong Kong as well as for other countries.
​It means banknote will have:

• an issuing authority (e.g. Hong Kong)

• a ruling authority (e.g. Queen Elizabeth II)

• an issuing bank (e.g. The Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation)

​I hope it can fit the need without being overly complex.
​Yup, that sound great to me! Case closed.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Status changed to Accepted (Xavier, 15-Apr-2020, 05:38PM)
Hong Kong needs to be divided into 2 main sections - Colony of Hong Kong & Hong Kong S.A.R.

1 January 1997 is the last date for notes of the Colony of Hong Kong - H.S.B.C. & S.C.B.

Bank of China had notes for the Colony of Hong Kong only from 1994 to 1 January 1996.

Aidan.
As I have proposed elsewhere, something broader than "issuing bank" is required, as governments sometimes directly issue notes or do so through their treasuries or other agencies, e.g., the Swedish Riksgäld or German Reichsshuldengverwaltung (national debt offices). I've suggested "issuing entity" but perhaps a catchier name can be thought of?
Quote: "ceh2019"I've suggested "issuing entity" but perhaps a catchier name can be thought of?
​"Issuing entity" could be a better name for it, because the Hong Kong government has issued and continues to issue small amounts of banknotes, so banknote issuing is not exclusive to private banks.

I also agree that HK should really only be divided into colony and SAR, because most banknotes did not change when a monarch died, case in point this 500 dollar banknote, which was not based on monarch. However, a few years before the handover, many banknote designs did indeed change, most of which included removing British symbols.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可
Hello,

It's now possible to list the issuing entity of banknotes. I already added the issuing entities you listed for Hong Kong*. Anyone can request more issuing entities by opening a ticket on the Catalogue forum.

* I'm actually missing the "Japanese Occupation Issue". This doesn't sound like an issuer name to me. Looking at an example (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note206811.html - I guess this page needs complete revamp anyway), it looks like counterstamped Japanse banknotes issued by the Bank of the Empire of Japan (大日本帝国银行). Should we add this bank for Hong Kong? I have also seen banknotes where the mention of the bank was struck though (https://sg.carousell.com/p/japanese-occupation-of-hong-kong-1-yen-banknote-overprinted-issue-170579017/), so it may not make sense to reuse the original name.
If there is no clear answer, perhaps we could leave the field "issuing entity" empty. Anyway we should probably differentiate those banknotes with a different currency.
Status changed to Started (Xavier, 26-Apr-2020, 08:15AM)
This is the flag of the Colony of Hong Kong;

It makes total sense to have colonial notes listed separately from those dated 1 July 1997 onwards.

Aidan.
Quote: "Xavier"* I'm actually missing the "Japanese Occupation Issue". This doesn't sound like an issuer name to me. Looking at an example (https://en.numista.com/catalogue/note206811.html - I guess this page needs complete revamp anyway), it looks like counterstamped Japanse banknotes issued by the Bank of the Empire of Japan (大日本帝国银行). Should we add this bank for Hong Kong? I have also seen banknotes where the mention of the bank was struck though (https://sg.carousell.com/p/japanese-occupation-of-hong-kong-1-yen-banknote-overprinted-issue-170579017/), so it may not make sense to reuse the original name.
​If there is no clear answer, perhaps we could leave the field "issuing entity" empty. Anyway we should probably differentiate those banknotes with a different currency.
​The first two series were counterstamped issues, however the last two series were dedicated issues. I'm actually unsure if these were printed for HK only.

If we're gonna add it for Hong Kong, then we'd need a new currency to go with it too- the Japanese Military Yen.
光復香港 時代革命
五大訴求 缺一不可

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 03:49AM.