Get back to the old design

Is coin roll hunting legit or fake

20 posts • viewed 748 times

» Quick access to the last post

i see many videos o youtube about finding silver coins in bank rolls but I've never found any silver only world coins. are this videos staged or is it just in canada most silver has bin removed. early do i find silver in pocket change or a coin star but never from bank rolls. plz help?
I do it casually and don't go out of my way to do it but I get a few rolls of coins when I am at the bank just for the fun of it. I have found an occasional silver coin here and there but not often. Here in the states I am more interested in finding AU or UNC America the Beautiful quarters or the highly sought after W mint quarter. It depends on your interests but if you do it not expecting much, sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised.
I haven't done any roll hunting in a while but before 2000 I did it for a bit. I would get some silver occasionally. Last time I got silver in my change was a couple of months ago, a dime. But I find the banks no longer deal in change very much. You are lucky if they have rolls from customers.
Try your friends, if they have a penny pot, tell them you will roll them up for them on condition you get to buy what you want from the pot. I have had good luck doing this but will give them bullion value for the silver. Pennies, most people in Canada are glad to get rid of them. I have a good collection of pennies and nickels from 1940 to 1970. My penny pot is growing.

The Poet
Quote: "ThePoet"​I haven't done any roll hunting in a while but before 2000 I did it for a bit. I would get some silver occasionally. Last time I got silver in my change was a couple of months ago, a dime. But I find the banks no longer deal in change very much. You are lucky if they have rolls from customers.
​Try your friends, if they have a penny pot, tell them you will roll them up for them on condition you get to buy what you want from the pot. I have had good luck doing this but will give them bullion value for the silver. Pennies, most people in Canada are glad to get rid of them. I have a good collection of pennies and nickels from 1940 to 1970. My penny pot is growing.

​The Poet
​in canada the penny was such of cultural value. many people have penny collections so they always give it to me and so 10,000 penny's over time after searching through you can get some cash when returning it to the bank.
Coin roll hunting is legit. But in a box of quarters (1600), you may find one or two worn silver coins, but often you’ll find none at all.

I search for AU State and State Park quarters, as well as the elusive W-mint quarters.
Quote: "Ben-jamin"​Coin roll hunting is legit. But in a box of quarters (1600), you may find one or two worn silver coins, but often you’ll find none at all.

​I search for AU State and State Park quarters, as well as the elusive W-mint quarters.

why in America do people hunt for those state and park 25 cent coins... like in Canada we have commartive coins and unless they are in a package they are worthless plus the Mintage figures of those coins are so much. Why do they love doing it ?
Quote: "Legowwww"​​
​why in America do people hunt for those state and park 25 cent coins... like in Canada we have commartive coins and unless they are in a package they are worthless plus the Mintage figures of those coins are so much. Why do they love doing it ?
​Why not? I like coins. I started coin roll hunting as a means of finding the W-mint quarters, and then decided to collect to State and National Park quarters as well.
Coin roll hunting is real, but maybe not something that can be done right now.
I hunted rolls of half dollars back around 2007-2010. I found a few dozen silvers 1952-1964, and a few proofs. Then my bank started charging me for rolls of halves, since they were trucking them in at their expense, so I quit.

Whenever I'm in a branch, I always ask for weird money ("half dollars, dollar coins, $2 bills, anything old or foreign") and accept whatever they have on hand.
When you coin-roll hunt, how well you do usually comes down to one thing, your bank or banks in your area. I'm guessing that you are asking if hunting silver by coin-roll hunting is worth it? Most coinage that is made from silver and used as currency no longer exists here in the U.S. The only way you can get silver in legitimate amounts is buying silver out-right. The 1 oz. silver rounds are popular, go online, and search eBay. You also may have current or modern proof coins that may be silver, but they weren't issued for the public, it was a collector's piece only. Most people that are interested in silver buy it by the ounce. Coin-roll hunting was used for other purposes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
Sincerely,
KC
KC
Quote: "kcoins82"​When you coin-roll hunt, how well you do usually comes down to one thing, your bank or banks in your area. I'm guessing that you are asking if hunting silver by coin-roll hunting is worth it? Most coinage that is made from silver and used as currency no longer exists here in the U.S. The only way you can get silver in legitimate amounts is buying silver out-right. The 1 oz. silver rounds are popular, go online, and search eBay. You also may have current or modern proof coins that may be silver, but they weren't issued for the public, it was a collector's piece only. Most people that are interested in silver buy it by the ounce. Coin-roll hunting was used for other purposes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
​Sincerely,
​KC
​ thank you KC it did help I’m gonna try some new banks and areas. 👍😃👍
My local bank charges a fee for every roll so I will usually get 5 cent coins (the smallest denomination here) from my friends who are happy to get rid of them.
I do it here in Brisbane. My local bank has a coin roll dispensing machine. I can get $2, $1, 50c, 20c, 10c, & 5c coins from it. There is no charge to get them as long as you have an account at the bank, they are issued at face value.

The $2 rolls are worth $50
The $1 rolls are worth $20
The 50c rolls are worth $10
The 20c rolls are worth $4
The 10c rolls are worth $2
The 5c rolls are worth $2

In Australia we don't call it "Coin Roll Hunting" we call it "Noodling".

I look for coloured $2 coins in the $2 rolls
I am searching for a 2000 $1 Mule in the $1 rolls. (They are worth anywhere between $300 and $2000 depending on condition.
In the 50c & 20c rolls I look for low mintage coins such as Centenary of Federation coins etc.
I also am searching for a Wavy "2" 1966 20c in the 20 cent rolls. (They are also worth anywhere between $200 and $500 or even more)

Usually I find a strike rate of about $5 face value worth of interesting coins in $100 of coins. When I am done I take them back to the bank and pour them into the Coin Deposit machine. This is free of charge too. So I don't have to go near a bank teller at all. Just take them out and put them back in by myself. I do it at 2 different banks so that I am not getting the same coins back again.

My wife thinks I am crazy ... But when I finally get that $1 Mule and Wavy 20c I will have the last laugh. :wiz:

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia - I Collect - Australia, UK & Dependancies, Some NZ, USA & Euros. I also have other World Coins that I swap.
Quote: "brismike"​I do it here in Brisbane. My local bank has a coin roll dispensing machine. I can get $2, $1, 50c, 20c, 10c, & 5c coins from it. There is no charge to get them as long as you have an account at the bank, they are issued at face value.

​The $2 rolls are worth $50
​The $1 rolls are worth $20
​The 50c rolls are worth $10
​The 20c rolls are worth $4
​The 10c rolls are worth $2
​The 5c rolls are worth $2

​In Australia we don't call it "Coin Roll Hunting" we call it "Noodling".

​I look for coloured $2 coins in the $2 rolls
​I am searching for a 2000 $1 Mule in the $1 rolls. (They are worth anywhere between $300 and $2000 depending on condition.
​In the 50c & 20c rolls I look for low mintage coins such as Centenary of Federation coins etc.
​I also am searching for a Wavy "2" 1966 20c in the 20 cent rolls. (They are also worth anywhere between $200 and $500)

​Usually I find a strike rate of about $5 face value worth of interesting coins in $100 of coins. When I am done I take them back to the bank and pour them into the Coin Deposit machine. This is free of charge too. So I don't have to go near a bank teller at all. Just take them out and put them back in by myself. I do it at 2 different banks so that I am not getting the same coins back again.

​My wife thinks I am crazy ... But when I finally get that $1 Mule and Wavy 20c I will have the last laugh. :wiz:

​Cheers Mike
​What exactly are the mule $1 coin and the wavy 20c? Never heard of them before.
Quote: "CoinCollector1243"
Quote​​What exactly are the mule $1 coin and the wavy 20c? Never heard of them before.
They are the Holy Grail of coins for Australian Coin Collectors, both can be found in circulation.

​You will see the mintage line for the 1966 Wavy "2" 20 cent on line 3 of this page. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1003.html

Basically it was a variety of the coin minted at the London Mint where an incorrect die was used. Only a very small number were made. A picture of the coin is in the comments on that page.

They are very hard to find and command high prices on the secondary market. Check out this ebay listing for example ... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1966-20-Cent-Coin-With-Wavy-Base-Line-MS-64/184295334327?hash=item2ae8dba1b7:g:17EAAOSw0IFewIwC

The Year 2000 $1 Mule was an error coin produced by the RAM. A 10 cent obverse die was used on a $1 planchet with the normal $1 reverse. The resulting coin had a smaller Queens head and a double Rim. We actually have a separate page on Numista for this coin ....
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces128492.html

Estimated mintage is around 5,000 and they are still being found in the wild. They also fetch very high prices, check out this ebay listing ..
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000-1-10-CENT-MULE-ERROR-COIN-RARE-HIGH-VALUE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/193691438847?hash=item2d18e8ceff:g:MpkAAOSwGXdenBch

Cheers Mike
Referee for Australia - I Collect - Australia, UK & Dependancies, Some NZ, USA & Euros. I also have other World Coins that I swap.
QuoteCeruleanЯ охотился на рулоны на полдоллара в 2007-2010 годах. Я нашел несколько десятков серебряных монет 1952-1964 годов и несколько доказательств. Тогда мой банк начал взимать меня за рулоны половинок, так как они были в их Автоперевозке за их счет, поэтому я ушел. Всякий раз , когда я нахожусь в отделении, я всегда прошу за странные деньги ( «половины долларов, доллар монеты, $ 2 купюры, все старые или иностранные ») и примите все, что у них есть под рукой.
And hasn't the Central Bank (or any other organization that performs this function) withdrawn silver from circulation?
Quote: "Jvan"
QuoteCeruleanЯ охотился на рулоны на полдоллара в 2007-2010 годах. Я нашел несколько десятков серебряных монет 1952-1964 годов и несколько доказательств. Тогда мой банк начал взимать меня за рулоны половинок, так как они были в их Автоперевозке за их счет, поэтому я ушел. Всякий раз , когда я нахожусь в отделении, я всегда прошу за странные деньги ( «половины долларов, доллар монеты, $ 2 купюры, все старые или иностранные ») и примите все, что у них есть под рукой.
​And hasn't the Central Bank (or any other organization that performs this function) withdrawn silver from circulation?
​The USA does not do this. The Mint does not reprocess old coins, except to scrap damaged coins sent to them by the public. (The United States has never demonetized any of its coins in its 200+ year history.) We have no central bank, and our Federal Reserve system only distributes new coins from the Mint. The only way old coins leave circulation is when they are not accepted by automated systems like vending machines and coin counting/rolling machines, or when they are deliberately saved by the public.
Quote: "Cerulean"
Quote: "Jvan"

​​
​​And hasn't the Central Bank (or any other organization that performs this function) withdrawn silver from circulation?
​​The USA does not do this. The Mint does not reprocess old coins, except to scrap damaged coins sent to them by the public. (The United States has never demonetized any of its coins in its 200+ year history.) We have no central bank, and our Federal Reserve system only distributes new coins from the Mint. The only way old coins leave circulation is when they are not accepted by automated systems like vending machines and coin counting/rolling machines, or when they are deliberately saved by the public.
​Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the US took out silver for a few years after 1964 but stopped after citizens started hoarding the silver coinage.
At us-too, people sort out, only not rolls, and bags. We have coins in bags (or rather they were), now in plastic. The bag was from 500 pieces (10 rubles BIM) to 4000 pieces (kopecks)...looking for factory defects and rare years: 2002/2003. Only rare years are searched in Solyanka (bags not from the mint). My friend found 2 pieces for 2 rubles in 2003 and 1 piece in 2002.....But as the years go by, there is more and more money in circulation...therefore, finding an infrequent year is less and less likely. But there are plenty of defects.
As some have said, roll hunting now depends upon what you want. Banks now accumulate change deposited, and ship it to a processing center, so the rolls were not very fruitful (at least not in the Chicago era). Bank tellers also run bags of coins through the counters, and listen for the "ting" of silver coins.

My best experience was driving across East Texas to visit my sister at Nacogdoches in 1974. I stopped at each bank on the way, buying all the rolls of half dollars they had, searching for 40% silver half dollars. At most banks, they only had $100 or less in half dollars, and few of them were 40% silver, but I did get one or two 90% silver halves.

However, one bank only had two rolls. One had nothing, but the other was a BU roll of 1969D half dollars, from which someone had swapped out one coin!

This may not sound like much, but I made enough on the silver to pay for my gasoline for the trip.

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:48PM.