New swap list

27 posts • viewed 449 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,

I'm working on getting all the pages of Numista updated for banknotes. One of the last areas is the swap functionality, and I thought it could be an opportunity to completely revamp the swap list page. So I prepared a new one.

Main differences are:
  • Change the buggy "own" and "wish" filters into proper filters, and add filters by country and coin vs. banknote.
  • Split long swap lists over several pages
  • Summary of selected coins
  • Same look and feel as "My coins": pictures of the coins (or banknotes), full date, comments show directly instead of a tool tip, etc. But it also means a much less compact display.

Before I make the change, could you please give your feedback on this new swap list?
You can see it here: https://en.numista.com/echanges/swaplist.php?id=2104 (change the number at the end to get the swap list of someone else).

I tried to take into consideration the following bug reports and suggestions:

Here are screenshots of the current version and the planned new version.

I like the second one more, but I'm not sure how qualified I am to voice my opinion. :)
Hello Xavier !

thanks a lot for the work it looks awesome and I can't wait to use the new version ! :` The use of it gives a more modern feeling and also a direct overview about all informations !

Best regards.
Merci pour tout !
Galor
Looks good, thank you!
A small bug: hovering over X icon shows incomplete tooltip (because it contains quotation marks).

More filters would be appreciated (for example, by year).
Maybe the "Your selection" box (on the right) could have links to coin pages?
ūūūūū
Thanks! Has indeed some nice extra ways to sort and select. And it's great that comments are now immediately visible.

I have in the past also suggested to add a filter to select cointypes that I don't have in my swaplist, so that I can increase a swap to get rid of some abundant coins I have in exchange for coins to improve my swaplist.
https://en.numista.com/forum/topic86248.html

Sorting by type (circulation, circulating commemorative, non-circulating, token ...) might also come in handy.

Another (big) extra idea is to be able to make sub-swaps or partial confirmation of a swap. Regularly I agree to a swap, but then we extend the swap with some more coins and it sometimes gets confusing which coins are in which sub-swap. Of course you can start swap #2 and #3 and sometimes #4, but if you confirm all of those you get 4 swaps on the road. The same will happen for swapping banknotes, for starters I'll try to agree on coins and banknotes separately.
Just call me Bram

Oh! And do read my profile page before you open a swap ...
I find the first version much more user-friendly...the second one looks too complicated.
In my opinion,best option will be just to separate banknotes from coins,so members collecting only coins couldn't request banknotes too(or,vice-versa)
Hello,
Thank you all for your feedback. The new swap page is now live. I especially tried to simplify the display, by having the checkbox, the year details, the quantity, the grade and the comment on a single line (at least on desktop). More filters (by year, not in my swap list, by type) can be added in a later stage.
Thank you Xavier but I personally find the new swap format longer and more tedious. I simply find the old format easier and faster to go through to determine who has what coins that interest me.
Same : the older one was from very far better and easier.

now we have to scroll down so much to take a look to a simple swaplist...

Could we have the choice to keep the old better one in the options? This one is, and I am very sorry, horrible. Did you saw the weight of a single new « swap list » (?!!!!!).
In French we have an expression to say that « le mieux est l’ennemi du mal ».
Gaulois réfractaire –
Membre de l'APDTABDFM (Amicale Pour la Défense des Tranches A et B sur les Dix Francs Matthieu).
I like having more options. Can we also get a filter to sort by composition?
I collect and deal in ancient Roman coin. In case you're looking for affordable ancient coins or need any help with the coins you already have send me a message.
I like the old one more as well. Now, at least on the phone, it looks odd and confusing. Too many things to click on to find the coins/bank notes you are looking for. Maybe make coins to appear at the top of the page, and bank notes at the bottom?
the old one was better , its was easyer to find coins , now i need to scroll more and so many pages that its take me at least 5 times more to see the swaplist. Can we have the old version and the new filter (will be perfect like that)
Quote: "alexx_353"​the old one was better , its was easyer to find coins , now i need to scroll more and so many pages that its take me at least 5 times more to see the swaplist. Can we have the old version and the new filter (will be perfect like that)
+1... :snif:
Gaulois réfractaire –
Membre de l'APDTABDFM (Amicale Pour la Défense des Tranches A et B sur les Dix Francs Matthieu).
I also liked the previous list more.

I needed 2 clicks to hide all the coins I don't need and a couple of minutes to check the coins to add them to a swap. I need only the "hide proof coins" button...

Now it takes much more time and efforts....

Please allow to choose the view in the profile.
Medieval sets for swap:https://en.numista.com/forum/topic140941.html

My personal list of scammers from Numista: erniemix, yvain, CassTaylor
Hi Xavier,

What a shock to see the new swap list for the first time! It is change and we have to get used to it. It will take some time. But I like the feature to only see items that you do not have. That makes it a lot faster.
And now we also have banknotes! I added a lot of the missing ones but it will take a few weeks to get it all up to date. At least I can drop Colnect, a site I really never got used to. I like Numista a lot better! Time you start charging a little bit ($10.00?) for members?

Thanks for all your hard work.
Ben
Hello,
I appreciate some of you made constructive comments. When you are on a swap list, you may now select which display you prefer. The choice will be saved for 3 months so you won't have to select each time.
This choice only impacts the display of the coins and the presence of pagination. The top part (including filters) is not configurable. Sorry you will have to live with the additional click.
Xavier, when I change from view only banknotes to view only coins, I can’t go from one option straight to the next (the option is not there). Instead, it makes me go to “view all”, and then I have to make the choice of what I want to view. Can you add the option to go from one view to the next without the extra step?
I just used the new swap list for the first time and I loved it. I was able to filter out the coins I don't need which kept me from scrolling through a long swap list where I have 95% of the coins. Very nice improvement.
Quote: "Hello There"​Xavier, when I change from view only banknotes to view only coins, I can’t go from one option straight to the next (the option is not there). Instead, it makes me go to “view all”, and then I have to make the choice of what I want to view. Can you add the option to go from one view to the next without the extra step?
​Thanks for reporting! It's fixed.
the old view with the new filters is perfect
I like the old type swaplist, imo there was nothing wrong with it. The use of the new-style swaplist is also more time consuming. Is there a possibility to make a choice between the old and new type?
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Yes, choose the "compact" display in the dropdown list below the filters, next to the sort options.
Thank you Xavier for this great update, the new format is great ! Still not able to preview my selection on one page before Add to swap. The display only shows number of coin selected to - My selection ,to view the coins I have to add it swap , its same as before.
kindly add a button "View My Slection" beside the button "Add to swap" .By clicking "View My Selection" , We can see selected coins in a single page same as Add to swap page only to modify and final click to Add to swap to add them.
coin collector.....
Very nice new swap list :-)
Will it be possible to have beside the contry name a kind of harow pointing down to show or hide all the coins of that specific country ?
By example if I don't collect the coins fron France I can just press the arrow to only keep the country name without the coins and you see directly the next country in the list.
This way it avoid to have the pages that you were oblidged to add for big swap list.
Doing so for extensive swap list you just need to define them on hide by default on each country, therefor when we want to swap we just need to click on the arrow of the country we are interested about.
Always look on the bright side of life!
If you don't collect a specifc country you should make a don't wish criterium.
If you keep your wishlist in order most of the problems mentioned would be either dealt with or a bit less problematic. :°
I like this enhancement! I will use compact display :) (because I use Legacy display).

At beginning I had problems with filters My collection and My wishes because I did not find coins with
♥-optional x-no ●
in a swap partner list with only a few coins.

Now I test with another swap partner list with many coins and I find all icons of legend:
Quote: "Legend"♥ This coin or banknote is in my wish list
x This coin or banknote is in my "don't wish" list
● I don't own this coin or banknote
! I own this coin or banknote, but not this year/variety
✔ I own this year/variety

I see options of filters, and means:
Quote: "My collection"All (● ! ✔)
Show only coin and banknote years/varieties I don't own (● !)
Show only coin and banknote types I don't own (●)

Quote: "My wishes"All (♥-optional x-optional)
Hide coins and banknotes I don't wish (♥-optional x-no)
Show only coins and banknotes I wish (excluding those I don't wish) (♥ x-no)

At beginning can be difficult... Can you add icons of legend in text of each option?
Wanted & swap list (euro coins & world coins, exonumia and banknotes circulated) https://goo.gl/AQjfKp - I have euro & world CC coins for swap.
Maybe one small proposal. Sometimes some users want to pull thru another separate swap at a time, dunno why though. Currently new interface does include option to go forward with any one of opened swaps and in case you go to add more coins thru members swap list, there is again this button "Ask to swap button". I have a feeling that with these steps, there will be many accidents in opening new-another swap mistakenly.

Currently users sees:
Do you prefer to continue an ongoing swap with demo? Swap #1, swap #2
My selection: (Ask to swap button)

I would propose something like this (maybe more clearer, and each option can be in a button - so you select one button if you want to proceed):

Do you prefer to continue an ongoing swap with demo? Swap #1*, swap #2*, (Ask to swap button)**
* links to already opened swaps
** means opening yet another swap along other already opened.

LP

PS: otherwise, nice, very nice. BTW, demo user has some nice pieces... :P

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 08:10.