Macedonia or north macedonia [solved]

29 posts • viewed 630 times

» Quick access to the last post

I am macedonian and want to know do you guys....

recognize it as FYROM, The republic of Macedonia or North macedonia.

plz give a response!!!!
Your agreement with Greece for your new country name has been seen in France as an exemple of good compromize between the two countries which each made concessions in order to prepare your future entry in the EU.
FYROM would look outdated
After all, your country is only a third of the ancient kingdom of Macedonia.:D
Referee of south atlantic islands
Republic of Macedonia - as that is clearly unambiguous - & despite what Greece says, it does NOT imply any claim to the Greek region also called 'Macedonia'.

Aidan.
I would also say Republic of Macedonia.

North Macedonia suggests that there is a South Macedonia, but that is Greece.

FYROM is stuck in the past, unless you are saying "we were part of Yugoslavia and want to go back"
Officially became the Republic of North Macedonia February 12, 2019.
I know macedonian guy happy for this compromise so I choose Republic of North Macedonia as the majority of the people.
Think to Timor East, there is also Timor West but is Indonesia. A name is only a name (W. Shakespeare)
Numista updated Macedonia name (I believe we even did not have FYROM) to North Macedonia recently.
Catalogue administrator
Quote: "Harris79"​I would also say Republic of Macedonia.

​North Macedonia suggests that there is a South Macedonia, but that is Greece.

​FYROM is stuck in the past, unless you are saying "we were part of Yugoslavia and want to go back"
​actually there is a region of Greece called Macedonia but during the ballon war of 1913 Greece annexed it and forced its inhabitants to either leav or be culturally cleanzed.
We must not oversimplify, from the end of Greek War of Independence, also known as the Greek Revolution, the restricted borders of the modern Greek state at its inception in 1830 disappointed the inhabitants of northern Greece (Epirus and Macedonia). The first and second Balkan wars are even more complex with the influences and lusts of Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Montenegro to conquer all Ottoman-held territories in Europe.
Its called North Macedonia, not Macedonia and you will have to deal with it. Everything else is just a provocation. And as Numista is not a place for political statements, I think your signature is highly inappropriate and shouldn't be allowed by the moderators.
My wife is from Thessaloniki, Makedonia, Greece. It is a very sensitive subject, very political, and I will stay out of it. The country changed its official name to North Macedonia (Severna Makedonija), so what is it you want to discuss?
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
It might be interesting to know if it's a question of religion, ethnic origin (turk, bulgarian), difference of ethnic language, limited access to administration services, job discrimination, ethnic cleansing during the dictatorship, or simply the memory of the good old days ...
Quote: "Frenchlover"​It might be interesting to know if it's a question of religion, ethnic origin (turk, bulgarian)
​History and politics. It's easy to Google. It has no place here.
Coin referee for: AZE, FRO, GRL, HI, KOR, KGZ, MLI, MHL, MMR, PRK, UZB, SML, TAT, TWN, TJK
Banknote referee for: AGO, AZE, BLR, ECS, GEO, HTI, KAZ, KGZ, KOR, MNG, MRT, PMR, PRK, ROK, SWE, TJK, TKM, TUR, UZB, WSM, ZWE
Quote: "ngdawa"​​History and politics.
​Isn't it the essence of a coin collection ?
Quote: "ngdawa"​​It's easy to Google
That's what I've done without finding disorders so deep that scars can still be felt today.
A living opinion from the inside often provides new clues for understanding.
Quote: "ngdawa"It has no place here
You're right if this discussion is going to shit.
Quote: "Frenchlover"
Quote: "ngdawa"​​History and politics.
​​Isn't it the essence of a coin collection ?

Quote: "ngdawa"​​It's easy to Google
​ That's what I've done without finding disorders so deep that scars can still be felt today.
​A living opinion from the inside often provides new clues for understanding.

Quote: "ngdawa"It has no place here
​You're right if this discussion is going to shit.
​Fair enough. ;)
It all has to do with Alexander the Great and Greek Makedonia. Both claim Alexander the Great to be from their Macedonia. Greece accuse North Macedonia of stealing their heritage and history, as well as threatening their border by claiming the same name as Greek Macedonia.

Also, when FYROM gained independence from Yugoslavia, they even used the same flag as Greek Macedonia, but they just changed the blue background to red.
It's amazing that during this 27 years long confict between Greece and Macedonia, there was no territorial claim.
And it seems that both parties had strong aguments :
- Macedonia to prove its cultural difference against Bulgaria and Serbia slavics.
- Greece with the revendication of a former hellenistic Macedonian kingdom.

Still ... the Vergina Sun still shines with pride on the North Macedonian flag :D
Quote: "Frenchlover"​Still ... the Vergina Sun still shines with pride on the North Macedonian flag :D
No, ​North Macedonia changed flag in 1995.

Flag of North Macedonia (1992-1995) on top, flag of Greek Macedonia (1980s-present) on bottom:

North Macedonian 1992-1995 flag on top, and present flag on bottom:
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Frenchlover"​Still ... the Vergina Sun still shines with pride on the North Macedonian flag :D
​No, ​North Macedonia changed flag in 1995.

​Flag of North Macedonia (1992-1995) on top, flag of Greek Macedonia (1980s-present) on bottom:

​North Macedonian 1992-1995 flag on top, and present flag on bottom:
​guys this had nothing to do with Macedonia hating Greece it’s just how Greece treated us, they did some questionable things and Macedonia has kinda bin pushed to the side. I’m sad the name change happend, it makes us look like Greece. Plus why does The world not recognize us a legit country for like 30 years and going on but Disputed country’s like Kosovo are more recognized. Makes no sense
Quote: "Legowwww"​​guys this had nothing to do with Macedonia hating Greece it’s just how Greece treated us, they did some questionable things and Macedonia has kinda bin pushed to the side. I’m sad the name change happend, it makes us look like Greece. Plus why does The world not recognize us a legit country for like 30 years and going on but Disputed country’s like Kosovo are more recognized. Makes no sense
Like when in 2006 the international airport in Skopje changed its name to "Skopje Alexander the Great Airport". :O

​But this is why the topic should've been stopped after the first post. Politics, politics, politics.
Quote: "Legowwww"​​​guys this had nothing to do with Macedonia hating Greece it’s just how Greece treated us, they did some questionable things and Macedonia has kinda bin pushed to the side. I’m sad the name change happend, it makes us look like Greece. Plus why does The world not recognize us a legit country for like 30 years and going on but Disputed country’s like Kosovo are more recognized. Makes no sense
​You might not be so pessimistic.
Just have a look to the road travelled since the fall of Yugoslavia. Macedonia was the poorest republic of the federation.
The ten first years of independence were very difficult due to the civil war in Bosnia/Serbia and the Kosovo question that troubled all the region down to the border of your country. It was not the fault of the greeks.
Then North Macedonia signed a Stabilization and Association Agreement with the EU in April 2001, giving North Macedonia duty-free access to European markets. Since then North Macedonia experiences one of Europe's biggest growth rates at an average of 4% making it comparable to nations such as Romania and Poland :8D
By the way, I tried to visit the western part of North Macedonia but my car was not authorized to leave Albania, the computer and network was down at customs and the policeman was used to this problem saying to me : come back this afternoon or ... tomorrow :°
So I just visited, by foot, the monastery Saint-Naum on Ohrid lake. Nice place by the way.
Quote: "ngdawa"
Quote: "Legowwww"​​guys this had nothing to do with Macedonia hating Greece it’s just how Greece treated us, they did some questionable things and Macedonia has kinda bin pushed to the side. I’m sad the name change happend, it makes us look like Greece. Plus why does The world not recognize us a legit country for like 30 years and going on but Disputed country’s like Kosovo are more recognized. Makes no sense
​Like when in 2006 the international airport in Skopje changed its name to "Skopje Alexander the Great Airport". :O

​​But this is why the topic should've been stopped after the first post. Politics, politics, politics.
yea true lololol, its like the macedonia greece issue is one of the biggest disputes ever. like both side get emotional.
Status changed to Solved (Legowwww, 11-May-2020, 08:32 pm)
north macedonia (skopia-Скопје)are slavic(not albanian)...is there any coin from great alexander days which is written in slavic?? are greece now like ancient greeks??..no ,we don t have the same dna or blood..only the ground and the language(and some other things..)

as turkish guide tours are saying that some ancient temples(apollo)are turkish, skopia people can say the same thing about great alexander(which has meaning in greek the name ''alexander''-all the greek names have meaning) ,i dont care i only care is to have peace and be healthy
vardaska-skopia

Quote: "esterhazi"​north macedonia (skopia-Скопје)are slavic(not albanian)...is there any coin from great alexander days which is written in slavic?? are greece now like ancient greeks??..no ,we don t have the same dna or blood..only the ground and the language(and some other things..)

​as turkish guide tours are saying that some ancient temples(apollo)are turkish, skopia people can say the same thing about great alexander(which has meaning in greek the name ''alexander''-all the greek names have meaning) ,i dont care i only care is to have peace and be healthy
​vardaska-skopia

Wow that was said so well. I never thought of it that way. What you said was so true that in all this hot mess we should all be at peace.

I think it’s ok if we share history with other nations and we all have stuff in common, hopefully for us to be all friends in the future 🙂
Your reply was 5 stars 👍​
Well, wikipedia tells me that Greece and Macedonia resolved the dispute and so "North Macedonia" was agreed with on both sides. So, North Macedonia it is. And most of the voters voted in favour of it aswell, overwhelmingly too.
-Ash
Quote: "esterhazi"
​Wow, this map is so different to the map I've in mind :8D

Sorry, I've got a so little knowldege of the Yugoslavia history, I had never heard of Zetska banovina ...
Why not "south-west TOKYO" or "South - East california"...??
If you really want a history you can pick any other nation... 😜
Quote: "HONEST"​Why not "south-west TOKYO" or "South - East california"...??
​If you really want a history you can pick any other nation... 😜
​Sorry mate, but you are way too late in the game.
Yes I know...

​​​​​Sorry I'm just a new kid on the block.. 😜
Quote: "HONEST"​Yes I know...

​​​​​​Sorry I'm just a new kid on the block.. 😜
​Lol, no worries!
Καλωσόρισες στην γειτονιά! B)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:20 pm.