where do you get your coins

26 posts • viewed 725 times

» Quick access to the last post

as we all have different ways to collect, what are your ways of getting coins or accessing bank notes?

is it through banks ? , coin shows ?, coin dealers?, pocket change ?

what are your ways?
Look at your local Auctions as they sometimes have job lots of Coins I have been doing this for over 40 Years and found amongst the run of the mill coins and bank notes a few gems I bid and won a large lot around 25 Years took out the coins I wanted and put the rest in a Tin then 3 Weeks ago started to go through them and found 4 Silver Coins one dating back to the 1700s.
I get mine mostly on eBay, few at coin shows, some from Numista members recently. Also few from travels, or friends.
10 Pound lots on Ebay.
Pocket change, coin roll hunting, and Coinstar.
Quote: "CoinCollector1243"​Pocket change, coin roll hunting, and Coinstar.
​How do you get coins from Coinstar?
Quote: "iiruig"
​​How do you get coins from Coinstar?
​Check the reject tray, just don't take them from where I go!
​that’s my prime way, coin star I get 90% of my coins.
​​How do you get coins from Coinstar?

It’s a known fact you can find silver in coins stars Canadian, USA And forigne if your lucky?
Numista mostly, eBay, coin shows, friends and family, in that order.
Due to my current schedule of full-time school and full-time job, swaps may take some time to complete. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

I am currently only trading in the US.
Quote: "Legowwww"

​​​How do you get coins from Coinstar?
​​
​It’s a known fact you can find silver in coins stars Canadian, USA And forigne if your lucky?
​No silver for me.
I enjoy peeking around my coin star. Sometimes if I am really into it I bring a ruler, get on my knees and swipe it under the machine. I buy large random world coin lots and go to at least one coin show yearly. At coin shows I look around in the budget section and buy a lot of things.

What coin star do you find silver coins! :o
Quote: "CGeorge"​Sometimes if I am really into it I bring a ruler, get on my knees and swipe it under the machine.
​I need to upgrade my coin collecting to your level!😂
Quote: "CGeorge"​I enjoy peeking around my coin star. Sometimes if I am really into it I bring a ruler, get on my knees and swipe it under the machine. I buy large random world coin lots and go to at least one coin show yearly. At coin shows I look around in the budget section and buy a lot of things.

​What coin star do you find silver coins! :o

I’ve done that but that caused a lot of attention to like 50 people around me. So now I stick magnets to the bottom of my shoes to swipe the good stuff, sadly if it’s silver 😂
Quote: "CGeorge"​I enjoy peeking around my coin star. Sometimes if I am really into it I bring a ruler, get on my knees and swipe it under the machine. I buy large random world coin lots and go to at least one coin show yearly. At coin shows I look around in the budget section and buy a lot of things.
​​
​​What coin star do you find silver coins! :o
​​
​I’ve done that but that caused a lot of attention to like 50 people around me. So now I stick magnets to the bottom of my shoes to swipe the good stuff, sadly if it’s silver 😂
​Imagine getting your feet stuck to the metal flooring:O
At first I bought big lots, but now mostly just auction sites, and from mints (specially from the Hungarian Mint :) )
As of today, most of the coins I get are from swaps with members of this wonderful website. After that it might be the odd one or two from eBay, then my local coin dealer, although, that has been closed for the last nine weeks, due to this latest situation.
As we have nothing in the UK like the coin star situation, so nothing comes from that type of supply.
Sometimes my local post office may have the odd none UK coin, but that is rarely.

As you can read from above, it is you people out there that keep my collection growing, and I thank all of you I have swapped with, and all I might swap with in the future.
I'm just a collector of coins, not a slave to it, unless I am in a coin shop.
For all you banknote collectors. Link to my swap list.
https://colnect.com/en/banknotes/list/swap_list/COINMAN1
'As we have nothing in the UK like the coin star situation ...'

Well, in a few UK supermarkets I have seen the equivalent to CoinStar -
cannot remember the company name on the machine (maybe it was CoinStar)
as once when I was clearing out some decimal coins as I had too many,
I used it, and it gives a receipt with an amount on which can be exchanged
for goods from that supermarket - or make a charity donation.
It still rejects foreign or pre-decimal coins, so there is a chance of finding
other coins in the reject tray.
Usually coin dealers on eBay.
I got mine from the guests of my husband when he is still working in a hotel as part of the room service, also from change and friends.

Happy collecting.
MaiCoins
Numista Swaps, Friends that have travelled and Catawiki
I collect world type and subtypes coins.

Better silver coins from coin dealers. My local coin dealer has a foreign coin grab box from which you can choose 7 for $1.00(US). Some from ebay. A large number of coins from Don Norris at WorldCoinGallery(worldcoingallery.com).

I am disabled and at time I do feel up to the 40 kilometer trip to my local post office so i am afraid that I could not get there to post coins for swap, so I do not swap coins but I wish I could swap as I have probably 1000 excess coins.

I am from US but I do not post my US type coins here.
But for the Grace of God
At first I contemplated becoming a highwayman but then, with everyone using credit-cards, I realised it wasn't such a great idea. So, I stick to swaping and - for pieces of higher value - to purchasing on & off-line.
Quote: "Jerry Yeager"​I collect world type and subtypes coins.

​Better silver coins from coin dealers. My local coin dealer has a foreign coin grab box from which you can choose 7 for $1.00(US). Some from ebay. A large number of coins from Don Norris at WorldCoinGallery(worldcoingallery.com).

​I am disabled and at time I do feel up to the 40 kilometer trip to my local post office so i am afraid that I could not get there to post coins for swap, so I do not swap coins but I wish I could swap as I have probably 1000 excess coins.

​I am from US but I do not post my US type coins here.

Dang, you are so lucky with the bargain bin,
7 for a dollar I want that so much😭

at my local coin event which is once a year the only time I can buy coin stuff they have a dollar bin which is nice for proof coins and cheep stuff but a dollar for world coins that’s a steel. Is the mix really good ?
​​
​​Better silver coins from coin dealers. My local coin dealer has a foreign coin grab box from which you can choose 7 for $1.00(US). Some from ebay. A large number of coins from Don Norris at WorldCoinGallery(worldcoingallery.com).
​​
​​I am disabled and at time I do feel up to the 40 kilometer trip to my local post office so i am afraid that I could not get there to post coins for swap, so I do not swap coins but I wish I could swap as I have probably 1000 excess coins.
​​
​​I am from US but I do not post my US type coins here.
​​
​Dang, you are so lucky with the bargain bin,
​7 for a dollar I want that so much😭

​at my local coin event which is once a year the only time I can buy coin stuff they have a dollar bin which is nice for proof coins and cheep stuff but a dollar for world coins that’s a steel. Is the mix really good ?
As to the selection that my local dealer has in his 7 for a dollar world coin bin, it appears as if he purchases 5 or 10 pound bulk lots and dumps them in this bin. The selection is very good with very few local, in my case, Canada and Mexico and only a small sprinkling of very modern coins.

As a matter of a fact, I picked up the EF Albania 1 Lek 1927 R, that I use as my avatar, in this bin.
But for the Grace of God
Quote: "Jerry Yeager"

​​​
​​​Better silver coins from coin dealers. My local coin dealer has a foreign coin grab box from which you can choose 7 for $1.00(US). Some from ebay. A large number of coins from Don Norris at WorldCoinGallery(worldcoingallery.com).
​​​
​​​I am disabled and at time I do feel up to the 40 kilometer trip to my local post office so i am afraid that I could not get there to post coins for swap, so I do not swap coins but I wish I could swap as I have probably 1000 excess coins.
​​​
​​​I am from US but I do not post my US type coins here.
​​​
​​Dang, you are so lucky with the bargain bin,
​​7 for a dollar I want that so much😭
​​
​​at my local coin event which is once a year the only time I can buy coin stuff they have a dollar bin which is nice for proof coins and cheep stuff but a dollar for world coins that’s a steel. Is the mix really good ?
​As to the selection that my local dealer has in his 7 for a dollar world coin bin, it appears as if he purchases 5 or 10 pound bulk lots and dumps them in this bin. The selection is very good with very few local, in my case, Canada and Mexico and only a small sprinkling of very modern coins.

​As a matter of a fact, I picked up the EF Albania 1 Lek 1927 R, that I use as my avatar, in this bin.

wow that’s a very good mix , most bins have the same inflated currency from Europe and Africa and it’s always good to get some old stuff and diverse coins

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 06:30.