Filter the issuer list by continent

33 posts • viewed 456 times

» Quick access to the last post

Hello,
The list of countries and issuers is ever growing, and it may become difficult to go through the whole list. Agreeing on the perfect classification of countries is probably vain. Instead you can now filter the list to reduce it to your area of interest. The first filter is by continent, and we should soon have more.
Great addition (especially as my area of interest for coins is restricted to Europe), thanks!

Any plans to add this filter to other sections of the site? For example to search for coins or define your wishlist by continent.
Just call me Bram
It's not planned yet. A wishlist by continent could be very nice.
Good addition! Though I'm not entirely sure Armenia is in Europe rather than Asia.
Quote: "DoubleEggbert56"​Good addition! Though I'm not entirely sure Armenia is in Europe rather than Asia.
​Geographically it lies in Asia but with all borders there are many opinions and cases for and against either. Especially in the case of the very fussy Eurasian "divide".
Yeah, we may as well consider it both to avoid conflict, as there's no completely clear dividing line.
I thought the same with Cyprus being on here under Asia.
My collections >
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13560800
also 13750057 also 15924495 also 15995337
http://mycoinssite.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16060326
Armenia, Cyprus and a few other countries show up both for Asia and Europe.
Extremely useful!
I'm eager to see more filters.
ūūūūū
More are planned! <:D
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Really nice!
(Kudos to all involve):wiz:
Notaphilyc Culture
Love the new feature!! Thanks!!
I am really liking this! :D

One thing I noticed:

Turkey appears under both Asia and Europe, but the Anatolian beyliks, which were within Turkey, only appear under Asia. Perhaps they should also appear under Europe?
Unless they were behind Bosphorus, then no, they should not.
Catalogue administrator, You can support my dream of becoming full time worker on Numista through Patreon if you wish: https://www.patreon.com/Jarcek
Yes, they were beyond Bosphorus, but the blurry boarder of Eurasia was discussed in this thread. Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, and Cyprus all appear in both Asia and Europe. With the Anatolian beyliks being in Turkey (closer to Bosphorus than Armenia or Georgia), I think it would be safe to include them in this blurry boarder (both Asia and Europe).
I love this new feature. Thank you Xavier! Over the last few months I have really liked the new features that we have received. They are very well thought out and add massive value to the site.

Two things:

Azerbaijan seems to have been forgotten I could find it in neither Asia nor Europe.

What would be really great for me is if we could have the continent filter on the Advanced Search Form. That would solve a problem I frequently have of wanting to work with coins from only one continent at a time.
Quote: "Sulfur"​Yes, they were beyond Bosphorus, but the blurry boarder of Eurasia was discussed in this thread. Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, and Cyprus all appear in both Asia and Europe. With the Anatolian beyliks being in Turkey (closer to Bosphorus than Armenia or Georgia), I think it would be safe to include them in this blurry boarder (both Asia and Europe).
​Turkey appears in both because it is both east and west of the Bosphorus. Anatolyan beyliks are only east, so nothing blurry there. Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan are in the Caucasus, which is the border, so that's why there it's blurry.

@andrewdotcoza: Azerbaijan should update soon, in both Europe and Asia.
This is great!
Aruba is in South America in the filter, but Netherlands Antilles is in North America. Both should be together.
Referee for Spain, Hispania (ancient), Suebi Kingdom and Visigothic Kingdom
Quote: "zegeri"​Aruba is in South America in the filter, but Netherlands Antilles is in North America. Both should be together.
​Thanks for pointing this out. I changed the tags based on the following assumptions:
  • Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao are part of South America (very close to Venezuela)
  • Saba, Sint Eustatius and Sint Maarten are part of North America (like most of the Caribbean)

Here is the new setup:
-Netherlands Antilles: North America & South America
---BES Islands: North America & South America
---Curaçao: South America
---Netherlands Antilles: North America & South America
---Netherlands West Indies: North America & South America
---Saint Eustatius: North America
-Aruba: South America
I cannot use that filter, how do i use it?
Go to browse coins, the Menu is to the right of search issuer.
Hello,
  1. Go to "Catalogue > Browse coins" or "Catalogue > Browse banknotes"
  2. Click on the field "Filter" (or navigate to that field with the keyboard)
  3. Select a continent (or type the continent name and press Enter)
  4. The list now shows only the country of the selected continent(s)

Hello everyone, first of all congratulate you on this great website and for this new filter by continent. Congratulations to the entire Numista team.
A couple of considerations:
1. In my opinión, "France - French Colonies" should be in North America and not in Africa (The coins of French colonies were intended for general use in the West Indies, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Saint-Domingue (western Hispaniola) until it attained independence as Haiti in 1804).
2. Papua New Guinea is part of Oceania and not Asia. From Wikipedia: "Papua New Guinea(…) is a sovereign state in Oceania that occupies the eastern half of the island of New Guinea and its offshore islands in Melanesia, a region of the southwestern Pacific Ocean north of Australia.
Regards, Oscar
Quote: "Xavier"​Hello,

1. Go to "Catalogue > Browse coins" or "Catalogue > Browse banknotes"

2. Click on the field "Filter" (or navigate to that field with the keyboard)

3. Select a continent (or type the continent name and press Enter)

4. The list now shows only the country of the selected continent(s)

​Thanks, i though it is in "My coins" that filter.
Quote: "stratocaster"
​​Turkey appears in both because it is both east and west of the Bosphorus. Anatolyan beyliks are only east, so nothing blurry there. Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan are in the Caucasus, which is the border, so that's why there it's blurry.

I see. That makes sense. Thank you.

Looking at this a bit more:

The entirety of the Carthaginian Empire is appearing under Africa (with only Ákra Leuká appearing under both Africa and Europe). Shouldn't Punic Sicily, Punic Sardinia, and Punic Iberia all be limited to Europe?

Under the Vandal Kingdom, we have everything appearing under both Africa and Europe. I would think to limit Vandal Sardinia to Europe and the Vandal City of Carthage to Africa.

The Uncertain Germanic tribes is only appearing under Europe, but they should also appear under Africa (the area includes that of the Vandal Kingdom, and there are some 'Possibly Mauri' coins).

The Crimean Goths / Goths from Taman seems to be missing. This was in Crimea, so... Europe.

We have the issuer 'Central Asia and Caucasia' only appearing under Asia. Not every issuer has been added yet, but the Caucasian Khanates should also probably appear under Europe, as should the Khazar Khaganate.

The Kingdom of Tashir-Dzoraget is only appearing under Asia, but this seems to be another blurry issuer, as it was in Caucasia.

South Osetia is only appearing in Europe. Should this also appear under Asia? Same thing applies to Abkhazia.

The Mongol states are only appearing under Asia, but this was a very large issuer. I think Great Mongol and Golden Horde are also good to appear under Europe (they went into Ukraine). It also seems Ilkhanate and the Timurid Empire had areas in Caucasia.

-----

And... that's all I got for now. Corrections always welcomed. 0:)
« The boundaries between the continents of Earth are generally a matter of geographical convention. Several slightly different conventions are in use. The number of continents is most commonly considered seven but may range as low as four. » https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_the_continents_of_Earth
Numista has chosen SEVEN continents. THANKS.

Transcontinental states are sovereign states that are divided between one geographical continent and another
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transcontinental_countries
If he is not in one, he is in the other. ;)
No power. :(
La recherche PAR et POUR TOUS BOINC ( Cancer Climate COVID) =
https://www.boincstats.com/signature/-1/bam/44435/sig.png
bigest world calculator
Soo, this should be all sorted now. <:D
I think some of mine were missed (unless there are specific reasons for not doing them or some kind or error?). 0:)
Quote: "Sulfur"​​Under the Vandal Kingdom, we have everything appearing under both Africa and Europe. I would think to limit Vandal Sardinia to Europe and the Vandal City of Carthage to Africa.

​The Uncertain Germanic tribes is only appearing under Europe, but they should also appear under Africa (the area includes that of the Vandal Kingdom, and there are some 'Possibly Mauri' coins).
​​
​We have the issuer 'Central Asia and Caucasia' only appearing under Asia. Not every issuer has been added yet, but the Caucasian Khanates should also probably appear under Europe, as should the Khazar Khaganate.

South Osetia is only appearing in Europe. Should this also appear under Asia? Same thing applies to Abkhazia.

​The Mongol states are only appearing under Asia, but this was a very large issuer. I think Great Mongol and Golden Horde are also good to appear under Europe (they went into Ukraine). It also seems Ilkhanate and the Timurid Empire had areas in Caucasia.

And the ​Western Turkic Khaganate may also in that fuzzy area?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Turkic_Khaganate
Yes, Turkic Khaganate should show under Europe as well. What did I miss? There was no special reason for that. :`
Everything in my above quote is appearing the same as they were before. And I removed the ones that had been updated. 0:)
Weird... I will have to recheck what happened, because I am sure I modified those..
Quote: "oynbcn"​Hello everyone, first of all congratulate you on this great website and for this new filter by continent. Congratulations to the entire Numista team.
​A couple of considerations:
​1. In my opinión, "France - French Colonies" should be in North America and not in Africa (The coins of French colonies were intended for general use in the West Indies, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Saint-Domingue (western Hispaniola) until it attained independence as Haiti in 1804).
​2. Papua New Guinea is part of Oceania and not Asia. From Wikipedia: "Papua New Guinea(…) is a sovereign state in Oceania that occupies the eastern half of the island of New Guinea and its offshore islands in Melanesia, a region of the southwestern Pacific Ocean north of Australia.
​Regards, Oscar
​I think Papua New Guinea is still under the filter of Asia and it must be under Oceania, any new about it?
Regards, Oscar

» Top of the page

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 11:29AM.