Spanish peseta and the deadline

7 posts • viewed 343 times
Hi all,since my trip in 2018 I've been saving up some still valid Spanish peseta to exchange at the Banco de Espana, totalling somewhere in the 400-500 euro range. December 31st is the last date that Spain will accept the peseta AFAIK, and it does not seem like this date will be extended. Does anyone have any idea if travelling to Spain and hitting the bank is still feasible this year, or should I cut my losses, at least with the coins? Thanks.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
I am on my phone so I cant make a really good research

In their page they point that they are open in the mornings BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE "A RESERVED DATE" (i think i am not saying it properly in english and dont know how to say it in english with one or teo words; i mean you need to call them and arrange a day and an hour to make whatever you want to do there (because of coronavirus))

Be sure that you will bring them the very last peseta; for example pesetas from Franco, they will not acept them (unless rare rare rare cases)

I didnt read nothing related to an extension of the time to do this
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
Kenny, it may be a little bit more complicated than appear there and do the cange (not imposinle to do), most probably you will need to make some papers (I may remember from other post reading that you did it already at least once, so maybe you are familiar with the process)

i leave you a link with most of the info, papers, etc

https://sedeelectronica.bde.es/sede/es/menu/ciudadanos/billetes-y-moned/Canje_de_pesetas_a_euros.html

Info about the Covid things you need to do to be able to do what you want there
https://www.bde.es/bde/es/Home/Noticias/covid-19/atencion-al-publico-durante-la-crisis-del-covid-19/atencion-al-publico-durante-la-crisis-del-covid-19.html
Se queres ca muller che queira, ten diñeiro na carteira
No need to take losses, if you can't travel there. Use some online exchange service instead. They'll take their share, but at least you get more than you'll get after december.
Quote: "klei92"​Kenny, it may be a little bit more complicated than appear there and do the cange (not imposinle to do), most probably you will need to make some papers (I may remember from other post reading that you did it already at least once, so maybe you are familiar with the process)
​Gracias, y voy a intentar, even if exchanging the coins is a pain in the butt. So long as flying to Spain is possible, which it does seem like at least by the end of the year, exchanging the coins should be no problem, but thanks to you I know that I need to make an appointment.
Kenny

- Verifying your Asian and British-territorial coins everyday with the best quality photos and the best information.

Check out my Facebook, Kenneth Gucyski.
Good news!!!:

"The Spanish government announced that it will extend the deadline on exchanging the old currency in the hope that people can be persuaded to trade them in.

At the beginning of this year, the Bank of Spain insisted that the final date for exchanging old peseta notes and coins for their euro equivalent was December 31, 2020.

But an extension announced by the government on Tuesday means they can now be traded in anytime up to September 2021."

Source: https://www.thelocal.es/20201117/spaniards-urged-to-dig-out-their-old-pesetas-and-trade-them-in-for-euros
Good news, as I have been struggling to get my pesetas on time back to Spain :(

However the webpage of the Banco de España for the moment claims the extension is till end of June (so before the summer holidays) ... anyway, more than enough time to figure out the correct date.
Just call me Bram

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 07:41PM.