Menu

Great Britain vs United Kingdom

12 posts • viewed 334 times
Is Great Britain and United Kingdom the same thing when It comes to coins.
Geographically speaking, Great Britain is one of the two islands in the British Isles in the UK - the other being Ireland. The UK is split into the island of Great Britain and part of Ireland, which is known as Northern Ireland. Therefore, Great Britain is part of the UK, but not the same.
Thanks for answering. Coin wise what do I have to watch for?
I believe that Krause just calls the UK Great Britain for some reason.
who or what is Krause?
Krause is a popular reference for coins, but is a little bit behind. The common way to abbreviate it is KM.
The "Great Britain" versus "United Kingdom" question is somewhat like the issue with another place that is sometimes called "America" and other times called "United States".

(Except that the USA is only a small part of the Americas and there are other countries that are unions of states.)
Yes, you are so right. Being very very new to coins and trouble at times finding a coin I wanted to make sure that there was something I should be aware of, coin wise.
Quote: "bjherbison"​The "Great Britain" versus "United Kingdom" question is somewhat like the issue with another place that is sometimes called "America" and other times called "United States".

​(Except that the USA is only a small part of the Americas and there are other countries that are unions of states.)
It should be mentioned that people use "America" as a shortened version for the "United States of America". Also, no other country in the western hemisphere (the Americas) uses the name "America" in their country's title.
Quote: "dick7coins"​Thanks for answering. Coin wise what do I have to watch for?
​All UK coins are issued by the Royal Mint and are the currency in all 4 countries (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). Sometimes they make coins with symbols representing one of the countries, Welsh Dragon, Scottish thistle etc. But these are still legal currency in all 4 countries.

Banknotes are mainly issued by the Bank of England, these are used in all 4 countries.
But 3 banks in Scotland and 4 in Northern Ireland also issue notes, these are not seen a great deal in England but they can be spent here.
thanks
As I see it - Geographically

Great Britain = Island of Britain which includes England, Scotland and Wales

United Kingdom now = Great Britain plus Northern Ireland

United Kingdom 1801 - 1922 - Was known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

British Isles = The Islands of Britain and Ireland and their constituent countries

British Offshore Islands = Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Scottish Offshore Islands including all the Hebrides, Orkney group, Shetland group and even Lundy, Scilly and Wight!
The Hebrides, Inner and Outer and Orkney and Shetland groups are seen as part of Scotland.

Lundy, Scilly and Wight are English, but Isle of Man is considered a separate territory and not part of any country except the United Kingdom.

Channel Islands = Fuzzy definition here, could be part of England - but close to France and definitely part of UK to some - others say it has a separate location like Isle of Man, part of the British Offshore Islands only.

Channel Islands includes - Jersey, Guernsey, Sark, Alderney, Jethou and Herm along with tiny dependencies.

All United Kingdom territories use the Pound Sterling of Great Britain. However Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own notes. The Channel Islands and Isle of Man have their own currency - but these are linked to the Pound Sterling.
Jersey and Guernsey have their own coins and notes and these are used on smaller islands too. I think, but may be wrong -
Jersey currency - Jersey, Jethou and Sark, Guernsey - Guernsey, Alderney and Herm
Isles Erechtiou are claimed by France, but there has been battles over them, if they were ever to be British, they would likely be claimed by Jersey.

Sterling currency is interconnected and acceptable on all Channel Islands.

Only the Republic of Ireland (Eire) uses a separate currency - the Euro, previously the Irish Pound (Punt Eireann)
I love coins, both old and precious and also change coins. If its round and shiny, it will garner my interest. I also collect stamps and have an abiding interest in History, Archaeology,  and Social Issues.  I also worship the musical god Prince.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:49PM.