Question about Yugoslavian 1990 dinar KM 142

7 posts • viewed 251 times
I have 5 x 1 dinar's from Yugoslavia, 1990, KM 142, or appear to be. I have 2 that I are 'normal' with the reeded edge, but 5 are 'smooth'. They are slightly smaller in diameter, and are about .15g lighter than the ones with the reeded edge.

when I use my 10x magnifying lens, it kind of looks like they were hit with a grinder, but it is so evenly done no one did it by hand. I'm wondering if this is something known, a strange subset of the coins not documented in the world catalogs or I just got a bunch from someones shop class that they were messing with.

If really interested, I can provide pictures, but I expect to be told, they are aftermarket modifications.

Here are the pictures.
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 26-Jun-2020, 06:29)
Please, better send your pictures in here, you can not expect some serious answer from anyone, without pics.
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Here is the link, which you should also include:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3290.html
added the pictures as requested.
It reminds a lot of the fate of the Polish 20 Złotych Y#153.2.

This 24mm coin had the edges grounded off to 23.5mm at a significant scale to make it pass for the much more expensive German Mark KM#110. There are references to this phenomenon on the page of the Polish coin.

The Yugoslav Dinar KM#142 is equally 24mm from the start, dates from the same period, and would equally benefit from a great value increase if it could be passed for a DEM. I'm pretty certain that this is the case here.

Not sure if you see opportunity to build a swap with me, but I am interested in having one.
Quote: "ArnoV"​It reminds a lot of the fate of the Polish 20 Złotych Y#153.2.

​This 24mm coin had the edges grounded off to 23.5mm at a significant scale to make it pass for the much more expensive German Mark KM#110. There are references to this phenomenon on the page of the Polish coin.

​The Yugoslav Dinar KM#142 is equally 24mm from the start, dates from the same period, and would equally benefit from a great value increase if it could be passed for a DEM. I'm pretty certain that this is the case here.

​Not sure if you see opportunity to build a swap with me, but I am interested in having one.

​If you like you can make one by yourself...or I can do it for you...X-D:8D
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Now that is very interesting. It certainly seemed to be a reasonable level of precision in the effort. And it does make a bit of sense. I am certainly willing to trade a couple of them as well.

( I'll get the up for trade a little later today)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 15:49.