Menu

Shipping

10 posts • viewed 228 times
Is there an inexpensive way to ship coins from South American countries to USA. In this case Venezuela, but other countries also. Everything I looked at is outrageously expensive.
Based on my research, USPS. Their rates are less than UPS or FedEx.
USPS is the least expensive but the last site I visited the USPS rate was about $25.00. I would not spend that for a $5.00 coin.
Quote: "dick7coins"​USPS is the least expensive but the last site I visited the USPS rate was about $25.00. I would not spend that for a $5.00 coin.
​Hold on - what coin do you want?
No particular coin at this time. I had an idea for a mixture of coins, but shipping cost would make it prohibitive.
I haven't swapped for more than a year because of this. I get better quality coins for a better price at my local shows and dealers. For the cost of shipping I feel the local dealers give me better value. If I travel I might try to do a swap on the road.
Funny you should say that. I have had thoughts about flying to Venezuela since I can fly for free, but I am not sure how safe it would be at this time. I am not a coin collector like you folks are (at least not yet) As you may or may not have read in my intro, 35 or so years ago I bought two big bag of foreign coins and threw them in my safe and never looked at them until now. With not being able to book meetings it gave me something to do. I have a contact in Venezuela and him and I have an idea, but shipping made it prohibitive.
Quote: "dick7coins"​Is there an inexpensive way to ship coins from South American countries to USA. In this case Venezuela, but other countries also. Everything I looked at is outrageously expensive.
​No through their postal service, as most of the packages are going through some sort of verifications for narcotics, similar to postal from Colombia.

Private companies such as fedex, DHL, etc will charge the amount you mentioned from that location... better to wait to see the coin in your local marker (US Domestic) or from a european/asia country with low shipping fees.
JustforFun...
that's good advice, if I wanted to buy any particular coin. However, I have enjoyed going thru my bags of coin, and next time I travel to a foreign country I will look for another grab bag.
Quote: "dick7coins"​Funny you should say that. I have had thoughts about flying to Venezuela since I can fly for free, but I am not sure how safe it would be at this time. I am not a coin collector like you folks are (at least not yet) As you may or may not have read in my intro, 35 or so years ago I bought two big bag of foreign coins and threw them in my safe and never looked at them until now. With not being able to book meetings it gave me something to do. I have a contact in Venezuela and him and I have an idea, but shipping made it prohibitive.
​I surely don't want to sound like a "killjoy" here but are you sure you want to fly into any major city in Venezuela? (COVID19 would be the least of your worries). I just talked to a Venezuelan lady & she told me that any of her friends/family (who remain) drive bullet-proof Hummers & only travel during the day, run traffic lights (they never stop for fear of being robbed/killed). Sadly, lawlessness & chaotic violence is 24/7 norm (according to her). Here's the latest US travel advisory.

I hear you about shipping. It's put a real damper on my purchases b/c many international countries are demanding Fedex at $20 - $40 per delivery. I can't see it getting much better for at least a year (or 2) but I hope I'm wrong.
Notaphilyc Culture

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 06:27PM.