Prototype 2 euro? [solved]

17 posts • viewed 350 times

» Quick access to the last post

Ive gotten my hands on a first for me i think its an test/essai 2 euro

specifcally a test 2 euro of the 2004 olympics greece coin
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2190.html

the dimensions of the coin is spot on to that of an 2 euro but it seems to be made of the same metal instead of being bimetallic

Any info whould be of extreme appreciation!

I think it might just be gold-plated.
Quote: "CoinCollector1243"​I think it might just be gold-plated.
​Thats could be true ill go and check tomorow with my LCS
Topic moved to "Numismatic questions" (ZacUK, 18-Jul-2020, 08:04)
Having tested it its not gold plated
Do you have a strong (neodymium) magnet? Is it attracted to the magnet, even slightly?
I do not personally own any magnets but i can again check that down at my lcs
So this coin now have me baffled its magnetic but alot more so towards the center of the coin and barely anything on its sides and nothing on the edge or barely noticble
That's why I asked to test it with a magnet. What you have is most probably a plated coin.​
Someone did a little science project and electroplated the entire coin.
A normal 2 euro has a center that's weekly attracted to a magnet. The outer ring however is copper-nickel and is not attracted to a magnet.
Hope this helps...
Quote: "Newtony"​That's why I asked to test it with a magnet. What you have is most probably a plated coin.​
​Someone did a little science project and electroplated the entire coin.
​A normal 2 euro has a center that's weekly attracted to a magnet. The outer ring however is copper-nickel and is not attracted to a magnet.
​Hope this helps...
​the only part its non magnetic on is the edge, however the outer ring was magnetic less so then the middle but still enough to hold a magnet
Not disputing your claim but its not plated in a rare metal which makes little to no sense.
What were the results of the XRF from you LCS also very simple what is the weight?
Quote: "Terrazone"​Not disputing your claim but its not plated in a rare metal which makes little to no sense.
​In my school days there was a lecture about electroplating. We all had to choose a solution and a metal object to be plated. Some chose a key but most went the easy way and just grabbed some small change. We plated about every denomination... The 1 and 2 euro coins were the most spectacular because now they looked uniform in composition.
We used copper-solutions but also some bronze or brass solutions to give Them a gold-like plating. It alle looked very cool, but real gold was never used....
I have several such coins in my junk coin collection. From Belgium, Germany and even Guatemala I believe...
These were not plated to make sense, but because as a kid it was cool to do...
Quote: "Idolenz"​What were the results of the XRF from you LCS also very simple what is the weight?
​as stated before its litterally the same as the original coin in both size and weight
Quote: "Idolenz"​What were the results of the XRF from you LCS also very simple what is the weight?
​As for the XRF it came up as nordic gold or brass to my understanding it was not reliable read.

that being said it seems to be plated in some form. And ill leave it at that thanks for all help.
Status changed to Solved (Terrazone, 24-Jul-2020, 18:25)
Quote: "Newtony"​These were not plated to make sense, but because as a kid it was cool to do...

​Not only kids plate coins. Sometime euro sets as well as pre-euro sets are/were gold plated and sold as sets in albums: https://www.catawiki.nl/l/39168493-europa-en-de-wereld-circa-4-kg-di-monete

I've seen sets where small silver coins were also gold-plated. It's pretty stupid because this plating is PMD which makes the coins no longer legal tender.
Quote: "Essor Prof"
Quote: "Newtony"​These were not plated to make sense, but because as a kid it was cool to do...

​​Not only kids plate coins. Sometime euro sets as well as pre-euro sets are/were gold plated and sold as sets in albums: https://www.catawiki.nl/l/39168493-europa-en-de-wereld-circa-4-kg-di-monete

​I've seen sets where small silver coins were also gold-plated. It's pretty stupid because this plating is PMD which makes the coins no longer legal tender.
​i also cant relate to the kid analogy due to local law forbidding the manipulation of circulating or swedish currency. (For example its illegal to make say a necklace out of a coin here not that it will get you arrested but its de facto illegal)

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 13:37.