Menu

what do you do with an unidentifiable ancient coin? [solved]

8 posts • viewed 210 times
Hello! So I get this coin (?) as a bonus from an ebay coin lot. I doubt that there is any hope identifying it, but it looks old. I have no way of weighing it, but it has a bit of heft to it, heavier than if it was just a rock. It doesn't look to even be a metal. It crumbles or flakes when scratched, but has a greenish copper tone where scratched. You can see some sort of design on one side.
I thought maybe an electrolysis treatment, but i suspect It would be destroyed.

Id love to hear what you think it might be, and what you do with coins that have no hope.
25.66 mm and 3.31 mm thick
Probably a 3rd- or 4th-century Roman or Roman provincial coin. The reverse seems to show a seated figure holding a cornucopia. It's a common type but you will never be able to identify it, and anyway it's not worth anything in this condition, as you already know.

Still, you'll see some reverses of the same type in the catalogue.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Probably a 3rd- or 4th-century Roman or Roman provincial coin. The reverse seems to show a seated figure holding a cornucopia. It's a common type but you will never be able to identify it, and anyway it's not worth anything in this condition, as you already know.

​Still, you'll see some reverses of the same type in the catalogue.
​Thanks Camerinvs. I appreciate your reply. The one edge has been scraped down as one pic shows, and it isn't metal, more like stone. That's not normal for Roman coins , is it? Maybe I'll make one of those electrolysis things, perhaps when I'm really bored😐
Status changed to Solved (jhorlick, 28-Jul-2020, 03:01AM)
A stone seal perhaps?
Quote: "Dejan"​A stone seal perhaps?
​Yup, there is the possibility it's not a coin but piece of something, a seal for letters is an interesting thought. Finding out what it is made of would be my next step. Who would be able to do that?%
if it is green as most images suggest, it could be malachite. Quite soft, easy to work with and extensively used in ancient times all around the Mediterranean.
Quote: "Dejan"​if it is green as most images suggest, it could be malachite. Quite soft, easy to work with and extensively used in ancient times all around the Mediterranean.
​Dejan, yes it is green. Malachite ....interesting. so, not a coin, the fact that it is so thick-3mm - says not a coin. So I'll just call it a little piece of ancient sewer pipe and put in the dresser drawer with the broken watches. Just kidding, thanks Dejan, I hope all is well in your part of the world.

Used time zone is UTC+2:00.
Current time is 05:08PM.