Homemade truck topper

8 posts • viewed 176 times

I needed a topper for a trip Im taking, and new, they cost around $1600-$2000.
Thats nuts in my opinion. Used toppers cost about $1200 around here, then I would probably have to paint it, as finding 1 to match is next to impossible.
I made this out of wood I had laying around. I did have to buy the paint,and back door lock.The windows came off an old aluminum topper from the local junkyard for free.I glued canvas on plywood and put 2 coats of quality rubber roofing paint over the canvas.

John
Wow - nice work !! Well done :8D
You’re quite handy. That looks ace.
Jamais l'or n'a perdu la plus petite occasion de se montrer stupide. -Balzac
Quote: "johnspa"

​I needed a topper for a trip Im taking, and new, they cost around $1600-$2000.
​Thats nuts in my opinion. Used toppers cost about $1200 around here, then I would probably have to paint it, as finding 1 to match is next to impossible.
​ I made this out of wood I had laying around. I did have to buy the paint,and back door lock.The windows came off an old aluminum topper from the local junkyard for free.I glued canvas on plywood and put 2 coats of quality rubber roofing paint over the canvas.

​John
Well done! Looks very professional!​
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes
Impressive modification
Very nice, but did you take your labour into consideration? :°
...you can run,  but you can't hide...
Thank you for the comments.
As far as labor, probably about 20 hrs. So @ $30.00 pr hr x 20 is $600.00. Add $150 in screws ,paint etc. it comes to about $750.00.
But Im retired so I had some free time to do it.

John
Quote: "johnspa"​Thank you for the comments.
​As far as labor, probably about 20 hrs. So @ $30.00 pr hr x 20 is $600.00. Add $150 in screws ,paint etc. it comes to about $750.00.
​But Im retired so I had some free time to do it.

​John
​I only wish I was that "handy."
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/collecting-banknotes

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 20:27.