Princely State of Kutch coins

9 posts • viewed 163 times
Copper coins Kutch - The Urdu/Arabic letters side is considered OBVERSE. Shri Khengarji in Devnagari is considered REVERSE
Silver coins Kutch - Here it is the opposite. Shri Khengarji in Devnagari is considered OBVERSE, whilst the Urdu/Arabic letters are REVERSE.
Is there a reason for this?
That's a good point.

I would say the obverse is the side which mentions the most important ruler. Constitutionally, George V supersedes the local ruler, so his name should be on the obverse of the coin.
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Thanks Camerinvs, makes sense.
Does the referee make the changes.
I see another coin with the British ruler's name, Queen Victoria, in Urdu on the reverse of this gold coin.

I don't know whether there are guidelines somewhere about obverse and reverse. Possibly on the Chiefa website, Kutch page? (Scrolling down, it looks like the Urdu side is always presented as the obverse, probably for the reason I have given.)
₱o$₮ag€ $₮am₱$ a₹€ mo₹€ £€₲i₮ima₮€ a$ a ƒo₹m oƒ ¢u₹₹€nc¥ ₮ha₦ ₮h€ €₦₮i₹€ "¢oi₦" ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ oƒ ₦au₹u o₹ ₦iu€. ••• £€$ ₮im฿₹€$-₱o$₮€ $o₦₮ ₱£u$ £é₲i₮im€$ €₦ ₮a₦t qu'o฿j€₮$ mo₦é₮ai₹€$ qu€ £a ₱₹odu¢₮io₦ €₦₮iè₹€ d€ «mo₦₦ai€$» d€ ₦au₹u ou d€ ₦iu€.
Maybe if it base metal like copper, then Obverse has the bigger ruler. If silver or gold, then it changes. Would be interesting to find out more.
Metallic composition should have no consequence on what side is the obverse or reverse. The Chiefa website I pointed to seems to systematically go with the Urdu side as the obverse.

I suspect there were political reasons for the British ruler to be given in Urdu and the local ruler in Nagani.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Metallic composition should have no consequence on what side is the obverse or reverse. The Chiefa website I pointed to seems to systematically go with the Urdu side as the obverse.

​I suspect there were political reasons for the British ruler to be given in Urdu and the local ruler in Nagani.
​Makes sense.
Should the catalogue entry be modified?
I just checked the Krause 1901-2000 World Coins and it lists the coins with the King's (or Queen's) side first, i.e. the Urdu side first.

If you update the pages, I would suggest to point that out in the final section where you're asked for your sources. You could also link to this thread.
Quote: "Camerinvs"​I just checked the Krause 1901-2000 World Coins and it lists the coins with the King's (or Queen's) side first, i.e. the Urdu side first.

​If you update the pages, I would suggest to point that out in the final section where you're asked for your sources. You could also link to this thread.
​Thanks Camerinvs.
That was very nice of you to find out.
Will link to this thread.

» Forum policy

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 18:50.