Numismatic Museum of Athens
The Numismatic Museum is one of the oldest public museums in Greece, It was established in 1834.
The rooms are dedicated:
- The Iliou Melathron and Heinrich Schliemann collection
- The Great Donors of the Numismatic Museum
- Coinage in the Ancient Greek World (Origins and Spread - International and Common Coins - Iconography and Ideology)
- Coinage in the Roman World
- Coinage in the Byzantine World
- Coinage in the Western and Eastern Medieval World
- Coinage in the Modern and Contemporary World
- Coinage in the Modern Greek State
- The World of Medals
- Money and Society
Τhe true history of the coins
Unique exhibits (such as the decadrachm of ancient Athens) and all that the foreign archaeologists and soldiers have not stolen ...
In Greece, what would you expect of a Numismatic Museum?
It is what it is - great variety on coins.
Interesting and easy to visit, not to be missed
I visited this museum in August,arranged on two floors, you can find a nice variety of coins, Roman, Ptolemaic, Persian, Islamic, Ottomans and naturally Greek.
Retracing the steps of the first coinage until today.
They give you the opportunity to listen to a guide in English, no additional cost to the price of entry.