Menu

"horizontal" B B counterstamped coins ?? [solved]

Michal
Does anybody hear about coins counterstamped by "horizontal" B B mark ?

I am intersted in information about this kind of coins, what does this countermark mean? What region/country/area made it and why ?

Camerinvs
Do you have a picture? On what type of coin?

Most 2- or 3-letter countermarks are initials of names and can't usually be identified. The standard reference is Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins (2003). There is a masterlist here (by Rich Harzog, the publisher). When the C/M is made up of only 2 or 3 letters, you have to assume the last one is the one you look it up under, since it is probably the family name, so B(...) B(...).

Note that there are thousands of C/Ms, most of them unidentified, and unlisted ones are showing up all the time (e.g. on eBay). In most cases, we cannot even be sure in what country the C/M was punched. If you have a pic, I can try to find it in Brunk later today.
Steve27
Obviously made by Bugs Bunny; he was really handy with a sledge hammer:
Michal
Quote: "Camerinvs"​Do you have a picture? On what type of coin?

​Most 2- or 3-letter countermarks are initials of names and can't usually be identified. The standard reference is Brunk's Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins (2003). There is a masterlist here (by Rich Harzog, the publisher). When the C/M is made up of only 2 or 3 letters, you have to assume the last one is the one you look it up under, since it is probably the family name, so B(...) B(...).

​Note that there are thousands of C/Ms, most of them unidentified, and unlisted ones are showing up all the time (e.g. on eBay). In most cases, we cannot even be sure in what country the C/M was punched. If you have a pic, I can try to find it in Brunk later today.
​Hi

Yes, sure I have scan. It is 8 maravedis dated 1801 from Spain. Here is scan:

If will be great is you could try to find this coin/counterstamp in Brunk.
Camerinvs
I checked yesterday in Brunk and there's only "B B & Co.", no "B B". If it were an official C/M, it wouldn't be in Brunk anyway (see book title), but this certainly doesn't look like it is official ─ way too easy to fake. So it is almost certainly a private C/M.

The two Bs are not perfectly aligned, right? So, it looks like a single punch used twice, which anyone can do. So, it is most likely that it will never be identified. In Google Images I tried:

counterstamped "b b"

without any success. Hilariously, one of the images is Steve's profile picture... which leads us back to this post! B.

Michal
Quote: "Camerinvs"​I checked yesterday in Brunk and there's only "B B & Co.", no "B B". If it were an official C/M, it wouldn't be in Brunk anyway (see book title), but this certainly doesn't look like it is official ─ way too easy to fake. So it is almost certainly a private C/M.

​The two Bs are not perfectly aligned, right? So, it looks like a single punch used twice, which anyone can do. So, it is most likely that it will never be identified. In Google Images I tried:

counterstamped "b b"

​without any success. Hilariously, one of the images is Steve's profile picture... which leads us back to this post! B.

​ 
​Hi

Ok, but anyway thank you very much for help :)

Steve27
I checked to see if your token was listed in "A Trial List of the Countermarked Modern Coins of the World" by F.G. Duffield (it's a collection of reprints from The Numismatist magazine). The only 8 Maravedi listed are from a much earlier period (1604-1628) and they have added dates and monograms (i.e. no B B). Based on the amount of wear on your example, and the lack of wear on the counterstamp, I suspect it was added much later than 1801. The only "B" counterstamp reference I could find was here: http://www.exonumia.com/art/cma.htm

Used time zone is UTC+1:00.
Current time is 03:51AM.